Veers to the Right

-
The video is ridiculous. It was just a few seconds long, and the camera was moving too fast the whole time. They gave me vertigo. Why not take a lot of still photos, that we can study a bit?
How about a video recorded in the horizontal format?

Vertical vid.gif

Vertical video looks really crappy. The makers of the iphone should have their asses kicked for making the default setting in "Portrait" mode. It makes all videos appear as if you're looking through a narrow doorway.

This guy has no complaints though....

Vertical 4.JPG

To the point:
A bad LCA bushing absolutely will result in an alignment shift upon braking. So will defective strut rod bushings. Braking will make the LCA move rearward and cause the alignment to change.

Agree with others: two separate problems. Concentrate on the veering to the right by itself.

get a helper. One of you get in the car and the other stand by the side of the car by the front wheels. Person in the car put into reverse (Don't give it any gas) and coast backwards a few feet. Hit the brake. Repeat. Then do the same a couple times going forwards. Have observer watch to see if wheel is shifting fore/aft within the wheel wells. Have observer switch sides of car and repeat process with observer standing there. Had TONS of 89+ T Birds and Cougars with bad strut rod bushings back in my "front end alignment guy" days. Only have to go back n forth a few feet. We did it with the car up on the 4 post alignment rack all the time. or in the parking lot while pulling car onto rack. never ran one off the end either, ha ha.... but found a bunch of them this way. and those bushings themselves are pretty cheap to buy, too.

How about a video recorded in the horizontal format?

View attachment 1715860606

Vertical video looks really crappy. The makers of the iphone should have their asses kicked for making the default setting in "Portrait" mode. It makes all videos appear as if you're looking through a narrow doorway.

This guy has no complaints though....

View attachment 1715860607

To the point:
A bad LCA bushing absolutely will result in an alignment shift upon braking. So will defective strut rod bushings. Braking will make the LCA move rearward and cause the alignment to change.
If the lower arms move around, the caster goes wherever the slop lets it, usually negative as drag & braking forces the arm back. If there is more slop on the Pass. side, it will pull right. If the upper is moving, drag has less effect on it, weight will force whatever isn't tight in, so it's poss. for the caster to go neg. or pos. HOWEVER, when You hit the brakes the upper will always shift the ball joint forward, reducing the caster.

Okay got a update. Took the lower control arms off the right one appears to be bent but I have got another pair. The new question is the right strut rod is very very slightly bent should this be replaced?
5361109D-1BAF-4198-A641-A0415419D00E.jpeg

I don't see something like that--while not "right" but is "stable" causing this, unless the alignment os so far out it cannot be reasonably brought back in. The strut rods simply, maintain a set length. Think about how far that length can change with a slight angular bend.......not very much.

Like suggested previously, you need to find play, movement, damage, rust, breakage, such as in the frame, where it can bend and move, or even a damaged/ rusted LCA that can flex and move. And get a helper and look for problems while the helper moves the wheel, "power brakes" it against the brakes or chocks, etc

Okay got a update. Took the lower control arms off the right one appears to be bent but I have got another pair. The new question is the right strut rod is very very slightly bent should this be replaced?View attachment 1715865509
Definitely not good. I'd try straightening it with a BFH and/or judicious heat, first. If you can reasonably straighten it, i would go ahead and re- use it until you find a better strut rod.

Have you looked at the "ears" on the frame mount for UCA? I had a duster which had broken the welds on most of those ears.

-
Back