Vin and fender tags for sale on eBay?!?

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I was scrolling thru eBay app using the query: 1971 Dodge Dart hood
I am looking for a good used set of dual hood scoops for a Demon hood for wall art.
Any how I scroll across a guy selling fender tags for cars. I cannot link it because it is on the app and eBay no longer gives out the list I’d numbers. I was amazed someone could sell a fender tag, with a vin tag AND a tittle. If this is legal…. It is new to me.

113FE80A-5CD5-4D93-8F96-5FED294AD389.png

It’s illegal to remove the dash VIN tag, and it’s DEFINITELY illegal to attach it to a different car to register

Sales of stuff like that can get lost in technicalities sometimes depending on what it actually is. Like selling a fender tag is not the same as selling a VIN tag. But selling a VIN tag and a fender tag together, well, it’s pretty obvious what’s gonna happen there.

@Alaskan_TA would be the guy to ask details

It’s illegal to remove the dash VIN tag, and it’s DEFINITELY illegal to attach it to a different car to register

Sales of stuff like that can get lost in technicalities sometimes depending on what it actually is. Like selling a fender tag is not the same as selling a VIN tag. But selling a VIN tag and a fender tag together, well, it’s pretty obvious what’s gonna happen there.

It’s not like a 383 1of 27 cuda 4 speeds but it caught my attention. Words like “pink” and “cowl trim tag” are what makes the AI software say, “smile and wave boys, smile and wave.”

Yes illegal if you use them illegally. Pulling and selling probably isn't against the law especially if you state it is "to collect" or "wall art" or the like.

GYC had 2 re-body cars on their first episode of the season.

With the title in the background!!! I missed that the first time, that's ballsy.

Notice though how they say the title is free? Technicalities. Pretty sure this one is still illegal if someone wanted to pursue it though.

GYC had 2 re-body cars on their first episode of the season.

That's why the numbers matching game is silly. Big shops exploit all the loopholes and technicalities. Follow the right procedures and you can basically build a new car around the VIN tag. Is it the same car that rolled off the assembly line? Nope. So what is it that's worth all that money? Some stamped numbers?

As long as a couple of collectors say it's righteous, then it is.

Like guns...

It's not the selling or owning that is the problem it's what someone does with it.

Personally when buying a car it is 100% buyer beware.

Do your homework, look for the numbers.

When I posted this I was as clear as mud on the subject. I’ve not wanted to buy or sell this stuff. BUT have I? Yes. I’ve sold fender tags off cars I was going to junk at swap meets. Never asked what they were using them for. I’m pretty nieve honestly as I don’t think of doing it for wealth and fame. I just bought and sold before just because. Like $1.00. But on eBay the person or company of people are selling for nefarious purposes I’m my opinion due to the amount of sideways language used to twist the facts to “make them work.”

As for re bodied cars…. Not sure how I feel about that. A vin is like a birth certificate to me. Means nothing but it means EVERYTHING. If you know what I mean.
But if someone else was using my birth certificate- even if I was dead. That’s wrong. But does the world really need another Syleng1? Lol!

When I posted this I was as clear as mud on the subject. I’ve not wanted to buy or sell this stuff. BUT have I? Yes. I’ve sold fender tags off cars I was going to junk at swap meets. Never asked what they were using them for. I’m pretty nieve honestly as I don’t think of doing it for wealth and fame. I just bought and sold before just because. Like $1.00. But on eBay the person or company of people are selling for nefarious purposes I’m my opinion due to the amount of sideways language used to twist the facts to “make them work.”

As for re bodied cars…. Not sure how I feel about that. A vin is like a birth certificate to me. Means nothing but it means EVERYTHING. If you know what I mean.
But if someone else was using my birth certificate- even if I was dead. That’s wrong. But does the world really need another Syleng1? Lol!

A fender tag isn't technically a VIN and doesn't carry the same legal protections. Can you use one as part of a VIN fraud or re-body? Sure.

But the dash VIN is where most of the legal protections actually apply.

A fender tag isn't technically a VIN and doesn't carry the same legal protections. Can you use one as part of a VIN fraud or re-body? Sure.

But the dash VIN is where most of the legal protections actually apply.
Yea, never sold the vin on purpose. I’ve sold dash boards before and never removed the vin. But no paperwork.
“Phew!”I’m glad that’s off my chest now.
“Heavenly Father, forgive me for I have sinned.” Jesus still loves me and I am happy for that.

Yes illegal if you use them illegally. Pulling and selling probably isn't against the law especially if you state it is "to collect" or "wall art" or the like.
Is that something like a set of brass knuckles that has the hardware to make it a belt buckle

Absoutely correct 72bluNblu!

I dont know what the legal deal is concerning this in the USA but here in Canada.. Totally Illegal!

The minute you remove the rivets from the vin tag its a federal offence if caught.

No ambiguity about it at all. I know because I already checked with The Dept Of Motor vehicle Registration.

Definition of the word "tampering".

All I gotta say is, if they didn't make it such a pain in the *** for legit operators to get titles, this market wouldn't exist.

I agree. You know the state has the ability to run both a title lookup and an NCIC check.

If they would offer that service, they could both make money and potentially return stolen vehicles to their owners.

-
Back