VIN HELP!! Need to know what month built.

-

TAZLDAZL

AMSOIL DEALER
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need to find out what month my 1971 Dodge Demon was built. VIN is LL29C1B104836. Reason is I need a gas cap and there are two available. Pre May and after May. Most of the gas caps I have found have 4 tangs and they don't work on my fuel filler tube. I think I need the two tang one with a very short neck. The ones I have found have around a 1/2" neck. Neck being the part with the tangs on it. I have seen a post on here that a guy posted a picture of the A-body gas caps by year. This was probably the best find yet for research. But trying to find the two tang short neck is almost impossible. When I bought my Demon it was a project car and didn't have a gas cap. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
You need to give the fender tag info that has the date on the second line from the bottom the second to last code from the right, 3-digit code like C01. But based on the low VIN I would say it was built WAY before May 1971.

Does your car still have the fender tag? If so, it will tell you the scheduled production date of your car. It's a three digit/letter code in the second line from the bottom on the tag, fourth code from the left.

vin doesn't tell month of build but that is a pretty early one...check your fender tag if u have one...

Here is a picture of my fender tag. As others have described, the date code is found on the second line from the bottom and second from the right. In my case, the "810" code indicates August 1970.
You can also find the assembly code on a sticker attached to the driver's side door where it meets the door jamb (if it is still there).
P1030616.JPG

Scheduled profuction date of August 10th. VERY early in the model run. One of the first built.

Yes an early build as it was the 1,931 car off that assembly line that year.

The date on the tag is actually the 'Scheduled Production Date' which is the day they hoped to built the car, so not an actual build date set in stone.

Theses cars were also not built in VIN order.

To know what month & year it was actually built, check your Mylar door sticker.

There are a whole lot of cars out there that show an earlier or later month than the SPD on the fender tags.

**** it. Get a fuel filler neck from a later car and move on with your life.

"PROFUCTION."
Nice. I'm keeping that.

Thanks everyone for your help. From the fender tag information and thanks DFX 340 Duster for the photo of your fender tag as an example. It was very helpful. My date code is 915. I'm going to check out Moparts web site to see if there is a fender tag key so i can see what my date is plus all the other codes. Thanks again for everyone's responses.

915 is your SPD - September 15, 1970 (1971 model year)

But to know if the car was actually built that month, check your door sticker.

Either way, it should have been built way before May of '71, so you know which cap to look for. ;-)

-
Back