Vin number help please???

-

notchbuilder

Reaction score
I am trying to locate any other location where the vin may be stamped on my 68 notchback. Does anyone know if it was put anywhere other than on the dash? I cannot find it on the rad support anywhere either. Thanks for the assistance.

In 68 the vin may be on the engine and transmission, but on the body it is only the vin plate. The core support and left trunk lip should be S.O. Number and some other associated numbers, yr/factory/scheduled production date etc.. The broadcast sheet can tie these numbers together if you have them.

so far I can only find the engine number with no vin on the block. nothing found on the transmission. is the vin not stamped on the frame anywhere?

If it was built before January 1 1968 it will not have the vin stamped anywhere. Only the S.O. number like Rocky_JS said.

The fender tag should match the other sequence numbers. The fender tag info about motor, year, and model line should match the VIN. The certicard and the buildsheet are the only things to tie the rest of the VIN to the sequence number on the pre 69s. Probably why they changed that.

Not until 69 will the core support and trunk lip numbers match the VIN. 1968 can be a tough year as 67 and earlier you can get the build card from Chrysler and 69 up the numbers are stamped.
Do you have the broadcast sheet or have you even looked for it? Do you know what it is? It will if complete enough tie the chassis with the vin - all things being equal (still having at least a factory core support and/or left q-pnl.

Go to the bottom of this site and it will give you a little more insight on what and where to look for broadcast sheet, if you don't already ...
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

so far I can only find the engine number with no vin on the block. nothing found on the transmission. is the vin not stamped on the frame anywhere?

And, yes, 1968 and older you can swap the engine, transmission, vin plate and fender tag into a 6 cylinder body and no one would ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, yes, 1968 and older you can swap the engine, transmission, vin plate and fender tag into a 6 cylinder body and no one would ever know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not true.

There was a case a couple of years ago, a guy swapped a VIN & it was caught by the NICB, they have the records showing the body numbers & can link it to the original VIN.

The guy had his VIN tag confiscated along with the title & registration. He had to apply for a state issued VIN.

Not really. The fender tag would not match the body.

-
Back