VIN numbers

-

Baracudaaaa

Reaction score
I understand VIN numbers and how to read them but does anyone know how to read VON/SO numbers? Is there a list out there somewhere or maybe any kind of documentation

SO numbers don't have any coding to them

What I mean is they are sequence number for the assy line.

Maybe a dart was made and the next car down the line was a barracuda

The next 3 were darts and then 5 Barracudas

The sequence number means nothing more than which vehicle was built before the next.

I have never heard of a VON number.

SO numbers don't have any coding to them

What I mean is they are sequence number for the assy line.

Maybe a dart was made and the next car down the line was a barracuda

The next 3 were darts and then 5 Barracudas

The sequence number means nothing more than which vehicle was built before the next.

I have never heard of a VON number.
VON is Vehicle Order Number.... And goes back to the number on the original order form... So it has very little bearing on knowing anything about the car it's attached to.... One car could be a V200 Valiant & the next an Imperial Crown... Followed by a Hemicuda....

The exception to "very little bearing on knowing anything" would be those VON's that have a letter prefix.... The letters mean different things, my cheat sheet is trapped in a locked hard drive so I don't have the codes but it could be as trivial as being a leased car up to a factory demo or an A12/AAR-T/A

Not sure on that, but the von can indicate certain things, Canadian car, fleet/cop car, etc, by the first character.

On my '71 Broadcast sheet, the VON is E05066 (also present on the fender tag).
Maybe the first character "E" indicates Europe or more probably Export as my Demon is an export model (to Belgium)

Last edited:
-
Back