Vinyl top,Body color paint Or Top Tan color paint ???

-

TXDart

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I just pulled off what was left of the tan vinyl top and got some rust repair to do and then the before windshield and back glass can go back in,
What should I do?
Asking what you all think would look best?
1.Do I paint the roof body color?
2.Do I do an original tan vinyl top?
3.Do I paint the roof tan to match interior or another color?

Attachments

• 74 adrt 001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 74 adrt 002.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 74 adrt 003.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 170
  • 74 adrt 004.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 74 adrt 007.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 166
I have a 4 door with a white painted roof. I prefer it over vinyl. I think it keeps the car from looking too much like a grocery getter generic grandma car. I don't know if you're still going for that sleeper vibe, but a red car with a tan painted roof would look pretty good, or white.

Just my opinion, roof painted the same color as body, because it's sleeker to the eye that way.

I am leaning towards paint.
Here is Greg Ondayko's car one of my favorites..(Of course 2 door and original paint scheme)

Attachments

• 69slant6swinger11.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 69slant6swinger13.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 148
Paint it!

The rust repair you have to do is because of that vinyl top. I have to do a roof skin on my brown GT because of the vinyl top. Body color, white or black would all work pretty well. The white "top" on my EL5 GT is just white primer. It was like that when I got it, but it won't get its stock white vinyl top back.

Just thinking out loud, but you could prime it and then spray it with plasti-dip. That would give it a flat, semi textured look without being a rust magnet like a vinyl top...

Hey Martin,
Rustoleum spray bomb bed liner has an awesome tan color that is same shade as a vinyl top

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 155
I'm using the black version to do the floor, hood, top of fenders, cowl, roof to the vinyl trim for the 1/4 top and the inside floor of this beast
It has held up on the floor of our 74 valiant quite well

Also if you look in my dart build thread it is what I painted the hood scoop with

Attachments

• image.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 149
We removed our torn vinyl top

painted it with "Hammer Tone" paint

006-7.jpg

Here what it looked like before top removal...
Hey Emilio,Thanks for the INFO.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 134
Hmmm now that I see it with the tan top I like it a lot. Emilio's suggestion sounds good.

That's my problem.I can not decide....
do the bed liner in tan with the vinyl top chrome back on and if you don't like it you lost money on a couple cans and you either paint of it and try to keep the texture or you sand it off and paint to match rest of car.
I think doin it in tan would complete the total badass sleeper look that only the back wheels tell you something is up with that car.
Also get a AAA sticker of 2 and put one on rear bumper and the front of the inside review mirror

I will take pics of the finished product all dried. Sprayed it in the valiants trunk

I like vinyl tops nd on a 4 door makes it look CLASSY!

So I would say reinstall top

But if you are going to paint it paint it tan but matte instead of gloss

If you go white gloss would be good

But it will look best with the tan top

Was a good looking car when new

-
Back