Vinyl top install

-

moparker

Reaction score
Anyone ever try it. I hear it is not for a rookie.

Well I tried it for the first time this year, put a top on my Duster with the glass out. Also did my friends Dart with the glass in. It was not difficult, you will need one or two friends to help. Just measure three times before you cut anything!! My only complaint was the glue. I used the spray glue in a can for tops, worked fine on the Dart but had some problem areas on the Duster. Further research on this site found many people recommend the brush on glue. I would definitely use that. Go for it!

It is not difficult. It just takes time and patience. Measure two, three or four times. It is a lot easier with glass out as you can use a c-clamp to hold the material in place easily. Otherwise, if the glass is in the car, you can hinge it with some good tape.

Seems like it is becoming a lost art nowadays. Even some interior shops don't do them anymore. I've done a bunch of them over the years. One of those things that i think psychologically is harder on people's brain than it really is to do.

The body guy that is fixing the ares that I dropped the rim on said he has tried and it didn't work out. He isn't a hack a backyard type. He has a professional shop so I got a little nervous. Thanks guys I will have to think about this.

I did it myself and worked it out OK. I had my brother help me.

The one tip that I can say is once you lay it down on the glue do not pull the Vinyl back up or the glue will bead and then you will have little lumps under it.

I worked from the middle out to one side and then the middle out to the other side making sure you have it in the correct position the first time so you dont have to pull up.

-
Back