Vinyl Top Questions

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
Has Anyone Here Ever Tried To Install Their Own Vinyl Top. It Doesnt Seem That Difficult. But Im Probably Wrong. If Anyone Can Shed Some Light On This Id Appreciate It. As Far As Where To Start, What To Watch For, What Products To Use, And Best Manufacturer For The Vinyl Itself
Thanks In Advance

I've watched my dad do at least 3 of them, and they all look like pro jobs. I'm pretty sure witht he correct glue he just used newspaper in between the surfaces till it was laid where it belonged and then slid the newspaper out. Viola. Like said it looked good, but the process I'm sorry I was only like 12 yo the last time it was done 20 years ago.

To answer your question, it is fairly staright forward. The last one I did, I bought a generic vinyl top that had about 3 extra feet of material all around. I trimmed it leaving about 6 inches. I measured the sewn in seems and then measured and marked the roof. The skill involved lies in keeping the seems straight from front to rear and centered side to side. I used a 3m roll on glue. Let it tack up as instructed, the first time I applied the top too soon and it bubbled, necessitating me to pull it back up and reapply, didn't hurt anything, and was just a small section, just took some extra time.
Work from the center out. Draw a line where the chrome goes so you know where to trim. Do not stretch too tightly, the sun will shrink it and pull it out of the gutters and above the chrome trim if not careful.
Again the skill and quality work lies in keeping the seems straight and not trimming off too much material.

thanks for the help, i thought you had to stretch it tight. i had no idea that the sun would shrink it. it looks like im going to give it a try thanx.

-
Back