Volt meter power source???

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm re-installing a set of under dash gauges that include a volt meter. I always try to connect "extra" powered items in the back of the fuse box so that it is neat and organized. Is there any reason that this gauge has to be hooked up to the protected side of the fuse box? It would fit better if I just used an unused tab on the keyed source bar that is on the non-fuse protected side of the box

I always like to run everything possible on the fused side. Much safer.

There are usually several female connectors that are not used in mopar wiring harnesses. You just need to find one that is switched power and use it. Rod

Well you need to fuse it. Wouldn't you feel silly if you smoked the inside of your car over a piece of shorted wire?

The second thing you need to determine after installation, is "how accurate" it is due to meter inaccuracy AND harness voltage drop. So once you get it in, running, battery normalized and engine warm, measure the battery voltage accurately and compare

I guess I could always install an in line fuse. If I went that way, how many amps? all but one of the original fuses are 20 amp...

Voltmeters pull very little current. You could use a 1 amp fuse in an in-line fuse holder and it would be fine. The key on fuses is they should be smaller than the wiring in amp capacity so the fuse burns open before the wiring burns up.

In most cases there is accessory take off ( unused male spade terminal ) on back of the wiper switch. That is fused and might be most convenient too.

From RedFish:"In most cases there is accessory take off ( unused male spade terminal ) on back of the wiper switch."

I'm just in the Middle of finishing up the replacement of my dash wiring harness (that's why I'm rewiring the under dash gauges) and I noticed this unused terminal (looked all over for the wire I failed to reconnect). Mine is a variable speed wiper with electric washer and that is all plugged in. That leaves me curious about what could have possibly been intended for that connection - anybody have an idea?

Mopar Leo: I have considered this MAD rewire in the past , but I really do want that ammeter. My newer cars have just a voltmeter from the factory, but the deal is this - when something goes haywire with the charging system, I want to know right away, not later on when the battery is either losing charge or getting over charged. The volt meter to me is just one step above an idiot light that usually informs you that you are already screwed. The ammeter puts my finger on the pulse of the system. My solution was two fold. When Chrysler built fleet and heavy duty vehicles in the late 60s and 70s they put in a higher amp alternator (yep, up to 55amps!!!) they bypassed the bulkhead connector by drilling a hole, installing a grommet and running a new wire to replace the old one (even left the old one in place but not hooked up at either end). This bypasses the weak link in the system and avoids not being able to easily disconnect the Bulkhead connectors. Then I abandoned the in-cluster ammeter and installed one as a part of my under dash gauge cluster. If anything happens, it is in a new gauge with modern technology in a metal housing under a metal dash avoiding the second weak link toward disaster. With an ammeter and volt meter under the dash I can keep a close eye on my system.

From RedFish:"In most cases there is accessory take off ( unused male spade terminal ) on back of the wiper switch."

I'm just in the Middle of finishing up the replacement of my dash wiring harness (that's why I'm rewiring the under dash gauges) and I noticed this unused terminal (looked all over for the wire I failed to reconnect). Mine is a variable speed wiper with electric washer and that is all plugged in. That leaves me curious about what could have possibly been intended for that connection - anybody have an idea?
It accessory take off. Whats it for? Accessory! a cb radio, a record player, whatever

a record player
ook - highway hi-fi
thumbs_up-gif.gif

-
Back