Voltage Regulator Help

-

Wes

67Cuda
Reaction score
Anyone know what the red wire is for?

VoltReg_sm.jpg

are you running this in a drag car or a street car. that voltage regulator is not recommended in a street car, something about cooking your battery.

That red wire will connect to the blue ignition wire on your existing harness. The terminal on the front of the regulator will connect to your existing field wire. Contrary to many recommendations in print you can use this solid state regulator on a street car. These MP regulators won`t last as long as the old style because of heat build up but they`re okay to use and will compliment an electronic ignition.

That red wire will connect to the blue ignition wire on your existing harness. The terminal on the front of the regulator will connect to your existing field wire. Contrary to many recommendations in print you can use this solid state regulator on a street car. These MP regulators won`t last as long as the old style because of heat build up but they`re okay to use and will compliment an electronic ignition.

Longgone

Does the blue wire stay hot when the switch is in "run" possession or the brown wire?

I have a aftermarket ignition (ACCEL) and I could never get my car to stay running right after I turned the switch to "run" from "start". I had to twist the blue and brown together (no ballast) and hook the ignition hot wire to that for it to start and run correctly. It has been like that for years.

The reason I'm asking (to make sure) is Wes is running the solid state regulator and a after market MSD and he needs to bypass the ballast. I didn't have a ballast because I had up graded to the late model charging system... so what does he need to do exactly to bypass the ballast and still retain the solid state regulator?

I believe when using the MSD, all he has to do to bypass the resistor is remove it and connect the wires together.

I agree, this regulator simply replaces the older mechanical regulator and is a quick swap for the older systems. I have been using that blue regulator for years on both my 67 and 69 Cudas and they work just fine on the single field wire systems. They regulate the +Plus side of the field windings of the alternator whereas the newer regulators are designed for the 2 connector field alternators and regulate the gnd side of the windings.

-
Back