Voltage regulator melt

-

TF360

Reaction score
Why do mopar Voltage regulators melt from the back side? Is that an indication there is a problem?

The regulator MUST be grounded... I used bigger screws and added another wire for grounding.

Are you sure you're not talking about the ECU ? I've seen the gel in the back of them ooze out of some of them.

The ooze is the potting that protects the circuit board from moisture and contaminates. I am sure what they used varied or changed with age and the operating environment. A common potting is fluorosilicone, it is gel that is non hardening and self healing if it is cut.

Yes it looks like a gooey gel coming from the back of the voltage regulator

I would check the alternator field current draw. This is in the service manual. What are you running for an alternator?

I'm not aware, seriously, that this has been a 'typical' problem with these. I your regulator a branded Mopar, or replacement aftermarket?

check your connection to the voltage regulator, one of my wires was not making the connection causing the back of my voltage regulator to melt. and alternator fried the battery

simple answer they get hot under the hood of the car so ( heat) the end lol

-
Back