W2 lifter problem

-

W2-1969Dart

Reaction score
has anyone had any problems with the lifter cup being worn away by the pushrod when using a W2 race heads.mech 557lift 5/16 smith bros pushrods DC roller rockers springs are p/n P2946353

Is the end of the pushrod a complete ball or a half ball pressed into the pushrod tube?

If it's the latter, the tube edge could be boring into the lifter cup.

No, but did Smith Bros give you the correct end radius? Customs get both ends pressed in place. Especially given the poor angle the wrong radius could make an issue. It's not a large cam...

it is a half ball pressed in .there is no damage to the push rod on the end or the edge of the shaft? not all the lifters are damaged?

No, but did Smith Bros give you the correct end radius? Customs get both ends pressed in place. Especially given the poor angle the wrong radius could make an issue. It's not a large cam...
yes I believe it to be the right radius 5/16. it looks like all my other solid pushrods

Odd that it's only one. How do the tips of the valves look? Did you check the geometry of the rockers when they were assembled?

Odd that it's only one. How do the tips of the valves look? Did you check the geometry of the rockers when they were assembled?

Sorry I should have mentioned this, there is 6 that are worn\damaged. The tips of the valves are fine. Yes I have checked the geometry all is good .I run close to the same setup on another motor never had any issues. poor assembly maybe or some soft lifters??

I doubt it. Damage like that is usually the result of uncontrolled valve motion unless there was signs of top end oiling issues like galling the shafts or something. What is the camshaft in it? Like details.. Who made it, lift, duration, etc.

I had the same problem and not all lifters had it happen.

it's the push rod ends, they need to be full ball when heavy springs and higher lifts come into play, at least with mopar lifters cause they have cups the are held by snap rings and not only may they not be hard enough they also move around a lil with the lash, but they are also lighter than any other lifter due to this design-19 grams lighter 'each' then a comp or hughes solid lifter.

I have pics of my encounter with it.
the pics show the damage, good compared to bad, the diff in push rod end and a clear view with the naked eye on why/how the push rod can do this.
59* lifter angle puts the push rod at an angle, so it can dig if not a ball end.

Attachments

• Photo 573.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Photo 575.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Photo 574.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Photo 565.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 168
I doubt it. Damage like that is usually the result of uncontrolled valve motion unless there was signs of top end oiling issues like galling the shafts or something. What is the camshaft in it? Like details.. Who made it, lift, duration, etc.

Shafts look fine

Isky Part No.390155

INT .555 .014 296° 263° 106°
EX .555 .016 296° 263°

I had the same problem and not all lifters had it happen.

it's the push rod ends, they need to be full ball when heavy springs and higher lifts come into play, at least with mopar lifters cause they have cups the are held by snap rings and not only may they not be hard enough they also move around a lil with the lash, but they are also lighter than any other lifter due to this design-19 grams lighter 'each' then a comp or hughes solid lifter.

I have pics of my encounter with it.
the pics show the damage, good compared to bad, the diff in push rod end and a clear view with the naked eye on why/how the push rod can do this.
59* lifter angle puts the push rod at an angle, so it can dig if not a ball end.
Very close to what what Crackedback said .And the pictures look the same as mine.Thanks for all the support I will try different ends .

Very close to what what Crackedback said .And the pictures look the same as mine.Thanks for all the support I will try different ends .

We had talked about this in the past, I started a thread about it.

you know whats nice about this in a sense...is that you can change out the lifter cups and not need to break in new lifters, thats something.

We had talked about this in the past, I started a thread about it.

you know whats nice about this in a sense...is that you can change out the lifter cups and not need to break in new lifters, thats something.
I remember it well also, im the one who said the pushrod was boring the lifter.

That's a fast cam lobe. Just my opinion here, but if there was a mechanical interference issue, I'd expect to see it on all lifters, or at least all intake lifters due to the offset. I know hydraulic rollers that are much taller will have issues like that, but I'm pretty sure the 5/16 half ends are fine on them. However the radius of the lifter cup may not be for a 5/16... Are the 6 a mix of intake and exh?

That's a fast cam lobe. Just my opinion here, but if there was a mechanical interference issue, I'd expect to see it on all lifters, or at least all intake lifters due to the offset. I know hydraulic rollers that are much taller will have issues like that, but I'm pretty sure the 5/16 half ends are fine on them. However the radius of the lifter cup may not be for a 5/16... Are the 6 a mix of intake and exh?

yes they are a mix

Hmm. Wierd. Just for giggles, could you pull the pushrods, degrease them, use a little marking dye (called Dykem) or maybe a felt tip marker to mark the tips, clean the oil from the lifter cups, and reinstall. Then turn the engine over by hand and see where the dye or marked is rubbed off. This would indicate if there is a problem with interference between the edge of the cup and the lifter or not. I forgot to ask... What rpm does this engine rev to?

Hmm. Wierd. Just for giggles, could you pull the pushrods, degrease them, use a little marking dye (called Dykem) or maybe a felt tip marker to mark the tips, clean the oil from the lifter cups, and reinstall. Then turn the engine over by hand and see where the dye or marked is rubbed off. This would indicate if there is a problem with interference between the edge of the cup and the lifter or not. I forgot to ask... What rpm does this engine rev to?

Yes I can do that very good idea may take me a couple of days. 7200rpm

Do you know the pressures for that Mp spring? Or what Isky recommends for that lobe?That's a LOT of rpm for a 5/16 pushrod if you're running decent spring pressure over the nose.

-
Back