W5 Head Question

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
Can someone confirm that all W5s are 59 degree heads (unlike W2s which have 48 and 59 degree versions)? I am 99% sure but need to be 100%. I have been searching for a confirmation on-line and in a few reference books but haven't come across that info yet.

Also, there was a MP dual plane manifold made for the W5s but I cannot figure out what application it would be for. Has anyone heard of this manifold and what its intended use was? I don't have any of my older parts catalogs any longer.

TIA

Thanks for the feedback guys. I added a question (in my original post) re: a dual plane W5 intake manifold. Anyone have any info on it?

I only see a W2 rectangle port(P5249194) in a dual plane. It's a cast iron piece and rpm range from idle to 5300. I think a dual plane with a W5 head would be a moot point unless your running a class and have no choice.

I only see a W2 rectangle port(P5249194) in a dual plane. It's a cast iron piece and rpm range from idle to 5300. I think a dual plane with a W5 head would be a moot point unless your running a class and have no choice.

Thank you for the information. I just bought a pair of W5s and they came with a MP single plane manifold and a MP dual plane manifold and was trying to figure out why there was a dual plane for those heads (as you said, perhaps for a specific class). I am trying to find out exactly what class/purpose that is (just out of curiousity). Thanks again.

Can someone confirm that all W5s are 59 degree heads (unlike W2s which have 48 and 59 degree versions)? I am 99% sure but need to be 100%. I have been searching for a confirmation on-line and in a few reference books but haven't come across that info yet.

Also, there was a MP dual plane manifold made for the W5s but I cannot figure out what application it would be for. Has anyone heard of this manifold and what its intended use was? I don't have any of my older parts catalogs any longer.

TIA

You have to open up the pushrod hole alot. Intake never saw one just the single plain one.

Thank you for the information. I just bought a pair of W5s and they came with a MP single plane manifold and a MP dual plane manifold and was trying to figure out why there was a dual plane for those heads (as you said, perhaps for a specific class). I am trying to find out exactly what class/purpose that is (just out of curiousity). Thanks again.

If you can post some pics. Those are great heads and killer when ported right. Post some flow numbers if you are having them flowed. What valves are you going to run? Also what are your plans for the valvetrain? Are you going to be using a 48 block? Last one are those the newer heads with the blue plug on each end?

Agreed.

If you can post some pics. Those are great heads and killer when ported right. Post some flow numbers if you are having them flowed. What valves are you going to run? Also what are your plans for the valvetrain? Are you going to be using a 48 block? Last one are those the newer heads with the blue plug on each end?

Yes, they should work out well on the new stroker. As soon as Shady Dell is finished with them, I will post some numbers. They only have two porting options at Shady Dell for the W5s (no Stage I, II & III). They offer a full CNC port for $850 (which I will copy & paste the description of the work done below) and a hand porting job for $1100 (which is usually for W5s that have all ready been cut).

We are in the midst of discussing valvetrain and which roller rocker setup to use. I was initially going to use the all of my parts from my W2 heads but have decided to go with new components and will be selling the W2s (including intake manifold and headers) off later. The W5s are 59 degree heads and I am going to start off with an OEM block (partially filled). Yes, these heads have the head plug kit in them.

Here's the CNC port info from Shady Dells:

FULL CNC PORTING: $850
Shady Dell Speed Shop has the worlds first and only CNC porting program for the MP W5 cylinder head. It features a true D shaped exhaust port, fully CNC’d chambers that are opened up to 4.08” bore size, and a standard W5 intake gasket port window. See the W5 head section for photos of the CNC work. After the heads come off the CNC machine, they get the valve job performed, and then the seats are hand blended with a carbide and sand rolled away from the freshly cut seats. Depending on the intended application of the head, we also may widen the intake runner by hand at the head bolt bulge and hand blend/widen the intake short turn. Typically this mod is only done if the intended engine is over 400 CID or is an all out racing 340-390” motor. The final intake runners on the “big” version are in the 217 CC range with a 2.08” valve. Chambers are in the 68 CC range depending on valve seat depth (they varied wildly from MP).

Yes Ryan at Shady Dell with hook you up. He is incredible at small block mopar heads.

I was just curious about the head plugs because I know the new versions with the blue end plugs are alot better castings then the old ones. As for valve train I like the jesels I run but had thought alot about Norris...you might want to look into them.

-
Back