Want disc brakes, what to do?

-
find a donor car would be the best or check the sales ads here

could be wrong here but wouldn't the 74 swinger already have BBP?

A body with front drums got SBP throughout the build years. 8 1/4 cars were disc brake cars.

The cheapest swap would be to find a set of spindles/calipers from an FMJ body car. It does make the front BBP. The wheel choices for you in SBP are limited and the brake systems with SBP are either stock KH brakes or some of the aftermarket stuff.

check out pst.com they have a front disc brake conversion kit available plus free shipping to the lower 48. im not sure what kind you have, but youll need 10" drum spindles. i know my 70 swinger came with 9"ers since mine is a /6 but im not sure about post 73's.

also, does your car have power or manual drum? according to pst, as well as all the other conversion kits, the master cylinder they send bolts to the oe brake booster so if you already got power drums, youd get the manual disc kit and that master cylinder works with the booster in the car. saves about $300 give or take

65-72 disk brake A-bodies used a SBP wheel. There's nothing wrong with the set-up per se other than a limited choice of wheels from the aftermarket. It really doesn't matter which brake you choose, you'll still need the same components to do the swap with one exception.
  1. Disk brake, caliper, rotor, spindle, hoses, and bearings.
  2. Disk brake master cylinder (front reservoir smaller than rear).
  3. Check the proportioning valve that is installed on your car. If you already have a disk brake proportioning valve, as I did on my 73 Dart, you can leave this off of your shopping list. All front steel brake lines and proportioning valve. (The big need is the prop. valve. Valve is not of any use if lines don't connect properly.)
  4. SBP exception: Need to change out upper control arm and ball joint for 65-72. (Disk or drum brake car can donate.)

Just converted mine to AlterKtion and Wilwoods... have BBP late model setup with spindles, rotors, calipers, and dust shields. PM if interested... located in MD so shipping $$ might be expensive... not sure what they weigh.

There should be plenty of donor cars here in Texas once you decide what you want to do.

I would suggest upgrading the front to the BBP disc setup (Spindles, upper control arms, etc) then just buy a whole 8.25 working axle and roll that under your car. Better rear axle, bigger drums, BBP wheels, and should be pretty cheap. Plus you can easily upgrade to a Jeep Grand Cherokee rear disc brake setup later if you like.

I just stumbled on a set pulled from a volare or aspen ... cant remember which one the guy told me

big bolt pattern ... disk brake
They will be going up for sale as soon as i get them cleaned up some.

look up cass at doctor diff he sells one of the most complete inexpensive aftermarket large disc brake kits out there the only problem for most people with mopars are that they are cobra calipers but you can get that big brake slotted and grooved rotor look that everyone wants at a great price www.doctordiff.com take a look and you will probably need new spindles and tubular upper control arms www.justsuspension.com if you call him he will tell you exactly what you need and probably have it in stock i just installed an entire st on my convertible for i think less than 1,800.00 food for thought

Attachments

• goodguys show 171.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 529
Its man. drum, could I find a booster install it would it be better braking, what would I need to do this?

74 with front drums???????
I thought all 73 and newer had disks from the factory.
Never heard of that and have never seen one.
Please if anybody has a factory one let me know.
Look at the K memeber mounts (are they spool?) and see what is really been changed on that car.
I bet that car was wrecked or some body changed the "K" or components to the drums.
Beat me with a stick if I am wrong I have big shoulders.

74 with front drums???????
I thought all 73 and newer had disks from the factory.
Never heard of that and have never seen one.
Please if anybody has a factory one let me know.

I parted out a 73 Scamp with 4 wheel drums and definitely 5 on 4 on all wheels.

Look at the K memeber mounts (are they spool?) and see what is really been changed on that car.
I bet that car was wrecked or some body changed the "K" or components to the drums.
Beat me with a stick if I am wrong I have big shoulders.

Car was all original including the spool mount K frame.

75 or 76 was the first year all cars were federally mandated to have front disk brakes

no a power booster does nothing to improve the braking on a car it only decreases the pedal pressure (helpful for old ladies) but does not decrease the stopping distance

if you find a BBP disk brake set up in a junk yard or off a donor car the best option is to get the matching BBP rear from it at the same time

the scarebird set up is the cheapest option, the adapter bracket's are only $105 a pair and the rest of the parts can be gotten from a junk yard (not recommended) or from your local auto parts store

I have a 65 Valiant and just converted it to disc brakes using Scarebird's bolt on bracket. I did not have to change spindles because I wanted to stay sbp. His system is a little unusal but it work fine. Other than his bracket, you can get everything from your local auto parts store. I have just over 500.00 (not including the mechanics labor) dollars including using correct lines from Fine Lines, 71 Dodge Demon or Duster dual bowl master cylinder, suggested caliper brake lines, pads, and rotors. It was several hunderd dollars cheaper than other options. Hope this helps.

-
Back