Warm start issues

-

mbrooks573

Reaction score
Hey, everybody. I just purchased a 66 formula S with older edelbrock card and electronic ignition. When the car is cold, it starts right up. But, after the car has been ran for a bit and warm, it takes a lot longer to start up and then has a rough idle and wants to go dead until it gets running. I haven't had it long enough to run through the fuel system, but wanted to see if anyone on here can send me in the right direction based on previous experience. Thanks!

Another Edelbrock heat issue that a lot of us Eddie owners have.
Believe me, I know what you are dealing with.
A lot of Eddie owners said that a return line to the tank helps or cures it, and I havn't done that yet.
I do have the 5/8 insulator under mine but my exhaust crossover is still active, so until I get that blocked off I don't see any major changes happening.
Eddies don't hold a lot of fuel in the bowls and the Ethanol fuel boils really easy in them because of the bowls being designed right into the main body of the carb.

Going to a Holley or Q jet will cure it though.

If you want to see just how common this is with Edelbrocks look at this Google search result.
http://www.google.com/#q=edelbrock+carb+heat+soak

Boiling fuel or vaperlocked at some point or an issue with igition, perhaps a faulty coil. Could be way over jetted but I doubt it.

I had the same problem. Swore it was a fuel issue. Checked everything over and over. Found out it was the reluctor gap in the dizzy. Easy enough to rule out. Good luck

How I improved hot starts:

Rear mount electric pump

carb isolater

added vapor return system using Wix 33040 or 33041 filter

How I fixed it

Installed EFI ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The fuel today has a lower boiling point and the float doesn't work correct with it when warm. Put a filter on the car with a return. Dead ending the fuel in the engine compartment doesn't work like it use to. One of the reasons all newer carburetor cars and trucks went to this style system. Having a return keeps the vapor out of the system because it keeps the fuel moving. Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong guys. The vapor return fuel filter should help with vapor lock when the engine is running but shouldn't help with fuel evaporation caused by a hot soak or if the car sets a week or two. tmm

Mike one thing the vapor return seems to help is that it almost immediately drops line pressure to zero on shutdown, and as "heat builds" it discourages fuel from being forced past the needle/ seat, causing flooding.

The very first car I saw this on was my old 70 440-6 Roadrunner. At some point I added a "new" electronic fuel pump, don't remember the brand. It always "pluped" slowly, and I thought it was because of the return. (Older plunger pumps shut off when reached pressure) I took the vapor return can off, and all it did was cause hot start issues.

I was thinking of all sorts of things before "going efi" including installing a "pump back" system that would run a second pump to pump the bowl(s) dry on shutdown.

-
Back