WARNING! Windshield Gasket SHORTAGES!!!!!!!

-
I ordered my back glass gasket from year one. Went through the inconvenience, brokerage fees and fuel surcharge of UPS. Then found out i needed a locking strip. Called year one back, dont carry them. What???
I then called Steele Rubber (should have right from the start) and got the locking strip from them. They will not put thier Canadian customers through the pain of UPS and send via USPS and then Canada Post once it reaches the border. Steele was very suprised to hear that the gasket would have been sold without the locking strip. I'm not impressed with year one, at all.
Got my front winshield gasket from RPM in Saskatoon Canada. Good product, professional service, prompt shipping. Finally, a good restoration parts supply store in Canada.

I ordered my back glass gasket from year one. Went through the inconvenience, brokerage fees and fuel surcharge of UPS. Then found out i needed a locking strip. Called year one back, dont carry them. What???
I then called Steele Rubber (should have right from the start) and got the locking strip from them. They will not put thier Canadian customers through the pain of UPS and send via USPS and then Canada Post once it reaches the border. Steele was very suprised to hear that the gasket would have been sold without the locking strip. I'm not impressed with year one, at all.
Got my front winshield gasket from RPM in Saskatoon Canada. Good product, professional service, prompt shipping. Finally, a good restoration parts supply store in Canada.

ANOTHER example of y/o b.s!! Can you spell rippoff!!!

I am glad I ordered mine a while ago. If I remember right my body guy said that I ended up with 2 of the rear ones somehow....

Hey Doug I would buy it if you do indeed have and extra one you don't need. I need both Front and Back for my 69 Dart.

I ordered one from Classic Insdustried today as I need one in a month or so and it was back ordered but scheduled to arrive in about 2 weeks. So at least i got an order in!!

bought one off the Bay yesterday for my 68 Valiant 2dr Sedan.

Just called Steele. Yup, no fish windshield rubber for an indefinate time. They may start making their own but we are looking at 6 months. Bummer in my case.

What year model did you ask for?

68 FB fish. Bad news as I was gonna remove the windshield cause the car is getting painted and it has white haze around the edge from the orig rubber. Has the orig paint still so that rubber has been there the whole time and the car has sat outside. The 67 is supposed to have a good windshield but I will need a new gasket.

Maybe somebody has an extra for the 68... Here's to hoping. Anyone?

68 FB fish. Bad news as I was gonna remove the windshield cause the car is getting painted and it has white haze around the edge from the orig rubber. Has the orig paint still so that rubber has been there the whole time and the car has sat outside. The 67 is supposed to have a good windshield but I will need a new gasket.

Maybe somebody has an extra for the 68... Here's to hoping. Anyone?

Well I guess I was lucky to have went ahead and buy the 68 gasket for my 67 about a year ago. I just need to snap my polished up stainless trim on and will be done with it. Man it seems like this took forever to just get to where Im at today with the gaskets and glass.Thanks for the info.

Looking at the Y/O catalog it looks like 67 and 68 windshield rubber is different. Have you put that 68 gasket in already? If not and if they are different will you sell me the 68 gasket you have?

Does anybody else have a 68 fish windshield gasket they want to sell?

BTW, I am also in the market for door rubber including the outer window seal, rear window rubber, quarter window rubber, heck, all of it that needs replaciing when you paint.

This gasket thingy is really gonna cause me to change / delay my plans for the 68 fish. Can't paint the car without one.

Checked my mail, well actually the back door. I had my package from RPM. I did a quick check to see if it will work. I won't know for sure until I get the car painted and ready for the glass, but it looks right. So it took a little longer than what was said, about a week longer, but I'm not complaining, I did get it in only two weeks. Not bad as far as I'm concerned. So RPM seems to be the place for the gaskets.

There may be something to this, as there is a shortage of natural rubber right now. Tires I was paying 6 grand for, are now 10 and up, with long lead times(30 plus days).
Off road equipment tires are being hoarded like never before, and I can't even start to find used ones.

Looking at the Y/O catalog it looks like 67 and 68 windshield rubber is different.

They are definitely different. The 67 is the only year that they used a chrome locking strip. So therefore the gasket is difference. In 68 and 69 they converted over to stainless trim so in order to use the stainless the gasket had to be different. As well as clips being installed around the perimeter of the back glass and windshield.

Have you put that 68 gasket in already? If not and if they are different will you sell me the 68 gasket you have?

Yes I have installed it just not installed the stainless trim yet. See I didn't want to use the 67 chrome locking strip so I converted it over to a 68 gasket and trim.

Does anybody else have a 68 fish windshield gasket they want to sell?

I work at a auto glass shop and we do ALL types of vehicles. Talking to my boss and fellow employees you really should try to get the gaskets from Steele rubber. They have the "vulcanized" rubber. In short that means you have the best fitting, non kinking, less pain in the ***, gasket available. We use Steele rubber on all vehicles if all possible.

This gasket thingy is really gonna cause me to change / delay my plans for the 68 fish. Can't paint the car without one.

It is best if you paint first then install the glass. That way you have the pinch welds painted also and you won't have the "taped out " in your paint job.

Well this is a bonefide disaster. Just called RPM and they said after some guy posted on the internet that they had some their inventory went flying and they are out. Must have been the report here. he said Precision may have some more by june. Steele is considering making them but they told me 6 months if at all.

Man, what a bummer! This is bodywork / painting season!

Is it a bad idea to clean and reuse the old gaskets? I like the cost savings even if I have to use a little elbow grease but will it still seal? I need to find a new front and rear soon or go the re-use route.

I was at National Moparts yesterday,talked with Nigel about the gaskets for Dusters.He said 2 in stock!!!Place your order quickly!!!They,ll be gone fast.:clock:

Is it a bad idea to clean and reuse the old gaskets? I like the cost savings even if I have to use a little elbow grease but will it still seal? I need to find a new front and rear soon or go the re-use route.
i would not they are cheap + the mopars are known for leaks y do all that work for it to just leak just my 2 cents

damn...i need a front and rear gasket for my 70 dart....wonder what will be available at the spring fling next weekend....

a question on rubber seals/gaskets in general- why is it so much harder to find ones for the 4 door sedans?

You can use your old ones with success. But like you mentioned over time the rubber starts to get hard and it can be VERY difficult to install back in the car. The newer rubber will "give" as you work making things easier.

It can be sealed without leaks..... anything can be sealed but how it looks after achieving a perfect seal is factor also. Different methods can be used to achieve the seal so to narrow it down to just one way to seal one is hard to say. Recently we have been using a buthel (sticky rope) between the pinch weld and the gasket instead of the traditional bed a glaze. We did this to mine... so far no leaks... but I'm still looking. My boss is always working on something better and easier to seal windshields and back glass so this one of his new methods. Working with bed and glaze can be a messy situation as everyone knows so this method eliminates the mess altogether.

Steele rubber and I are gonna have some words today.. I ordered the back window rubber for my Dart.. Its doesnt fit!! I ordered one for a 67-76 Dart, 2 door hardtop, with a vinyl top (all my friends insisted there was no differance.. and every other site I went to (legendary, year one, etc.. had only one listing for a rear window rubber for a Dart.. not two like Steele) well.. I finally got to put the glass in last night.. the gap where the rubber fits around the pinch weld in the window channel is so wide, I could fit a pinch weld 10 times thicker!! once the glass was in, i could move the window in and out! I have seen glass go in before.. this isnt my first rodeo... the glass is supposed to be tight.. I actually (with almost no real pressure) pushed the rear windshield right back out with one hand.. I checked the gap on the front windshield rubber (which I didnt get from Steele) and the gap is WAY tighter.. something isnt right.. all I know is they better make it right..

a question on rubber seals/gaskets in general- why is it so much harder to find ones for the 4 door sedans?

Cause every one parts them for 2 door cars!
4 door gaskets are approx 2" taller than 2 door gaskets. The 2 door post is same as 4 door though.

-
Back