Was looking for a gas cap for my 1969 Dart...

-

polizzi82

Reaction score
So I was mid - restoration on my Dart and couldn't find my locking fuel cap keys anywhere. I tried to pry it open and it ended up in pieces. I've been using a cap from my parts bin from something else.
So my 225 S6 -> 360 V8 is nearing completion and it's time for a legit gas cap.
I look on Autozone, O'Reilly who all sell the same ugly plastic caps - all locking. I understand the gas is easy to siphon in our cars and don't care - I DO NOT like locking gas caps (inconvenient and ugly).
I hit up ebay and Amazon and found a couple offerings of primer (OEM style) and chrome (I want) but they were all closer to $100 (link here) and I just can't justify spending THAT MUCH more than the ugly black plastic locking cap. I did notice that there was a GM cap that claimed to be compatible with our cap. Listing is here. It was the style I love - but at $40+... The latching part looked the same and I started wondering... Are there other close enough or compatible caps to mine that might be cheaper? So down the rabbit hole I went. I looked up the ebay listing's GM part number on Autozone and Oreilly and while they didn't claim compatibility with the Darts, the neck and cap measurements were exactly the same! The only difference, and one the GM ebay listing didn't have was an additional, longer metal tabs. Did I mention the Oreilly part was ONLY NINE DOLLARS? Here's the part.

So I wake up after a night of Internet detective work, woke up, hit up the store and drive home very excited. I took the ugly warning off (2 screws from the underside release the stacked layers), and proceeded to test it out. It fit right in - but was slightly crooked. The longer metal tabs must hit the fuel filler hose. So I just took some pliers, bend the unnecessary tabs inward and IT FIT AND LOOKED PERFECT!!!
So... If anyone needs an OEM style, UNLOCKING gas cap, know that the 1973 Chevy Blazer has a compatible gas cap :D Seriously if I had the time I would buy a dozen of these, grind the end off (so it looks nice) and easily triple the money selling them on Amazon.

Anyways - looooong time lurker, this site is amazing. Figured the least I could do is show 67-70 A body dudes how to get a nice gas cap dirt cheap. Enjoy!

Parts and my thought process

How to bend it (tabs before and after)

Here's now it looks (sorry for the ugly paint - body is last for the reno)

My car when the paint was good (don't go to TJ) and new 360 engine after rebuild and paint

Thanks again for being part of this great site

-
Back