Was undercoating standard "equipment" in 1965?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Both my '65 Formula S and '65 Signet convertible appear to have a factory undercoating. I can't find any reference to undercoating on factory equipment flyers, option lists, or on my build sheets or fender tags. Who decided to apply the undercoating? Maybe it was a dealer add on? Very curious.

As I recall, undercoating was always an option for anything other than a luxury car, but the we always ordered it, as it was a $5 option. Our dealership could also apply it and sometimes a customer would ask for additional undercoating before they picked up their new car.

Undercoating and underhood pad came together as one option on A and B models. For 1965 models, the option code was "611" and is on the buildsheet. If you see a "1" under the "611" square, then it was factory undercoated. If it's blank, then no undercoating. The undercoating option was $15.70 extra for the Barracuda.

The option number was changed to 579 for the 1966 models. It does show up on the buildsheet under the "57" square. If the space is blank under the "57", then the car was not factory undercoated. If you see "9" under the "57", then it was undercoated. In 66, the option was $.30 less at $15.40.

copied from my other posting:

Thanks. I just noticed other discrepancies:
1) build sheet shows code 30 for 273 2 barrel and fender tag shows the correct code 31 for the 273 Commando;
2) build sheet under "Air Cond. Heater" shows a 40 which is heater with defroster and fender tag shows 1 which is the correct A/C with heater;
3) build sheet under "Power Brakes 411" is blank and fender tag shows 1 to designate power brakes.

P.S. Do you happen to know where the option for day/night rearview mirror is documented?

...i believe all vehicles received undercoating in the wheel wells and trunk extensions and any additional undercoating was a factory option.
it seems some California cars did not always receive wheel well undercoating,but never say never with Mopar.

-
Back