Water in oil?

-

70net440

Reaction score
So the mysterious dissappearing coolant from my son's 340 has finally showed up in the oil. He rebuilt it for his senior project a couple years ago. He didn't get a lot of supervision and I think something was assembled wrong. The car hasn't been driven much the last year. The coolant was dissapering and wasn't leaking externally that we could see. The water in the oil showed up about a month ago when I was giving it it's monthly start up. I'm thinking head gasket. Could it be anything else? Can I diagnose it without pulling the top end apart? Thanks for any replies.

if the water is getting in the oil it may be getting in a cylinder too. Pull all the spark plugs and pump it up with a coolant system tester might show which bank .

remove all plugs bring each cylinder to tdc power put approx 5-10 psi from compressor into cylinder watch for bubbles in raditor or listen for air excaping into crankcase might help diagionas

If the engine is still running good, it could be leaking around the water passages in the intake manifold. It will run like crap with a blown head gasket.

Look at the intake to head bolts, next to the water ports. Guaranteed one bolt is leaking past the threads. Ask Me, How I know :angry7: I did a temp fix with RTV

The engine is running prety well. We did swap intakes chasing a vacum leak. I'll check that too. Whenever it stops snowing.

-
Back