Water leaks

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
Hi all, just rebuilt a 340 engine and after putting in antifreeze I notice leaks around the center/ bottom head bolts on both sides. Are these center bolts through a water jacket? Should I rtv the bolts if so? This is my first sb rebuild, do thanks for any help!

Been a while for me Justin, but I believe those are "dry" holes. I hope you don't have a head gasket issue? I'd clean everything well and try to take a serious look at the actual point of exit.

Ok thanks, and I know that the outer exhaust manifold holes are water jackets, so I put studs with sealer on those. So not leaking there. When you look up from under the car, it's only wet from the " lip " of the head right in the center. I used the copper spray head sealer and torqued bolts to 95 pounds. Hope I don't have to pull heads. Errrrrr

What kind of head gaskets did you use , most modern head gaskets don't require a sealer?

If you are using the old metal head gaskets with the sealer they leak sometimes until the engine is warmed up and retorqued

All I have is stooped questions... Are there some small metal tube liners in a couple of water ports between block and head ? If so, Is it possible that they are too long ?

Only other thing I can think of is a previous owner o-ringed the block for some reason. Are you suppose to use a "special" gasket with o-ringed blocks?

Drain the coolant out & borrow a radiator pump kit & pump it to 15 lbs & find where it's leaking. yes likely you will have to dissassemble. You want the coolant out to minimize it leaking into areas where it ain't supposed to be. find where it is leaking & holler back

-
Back