Water Pump gasket question 360LA

-

FlDart360

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking for some clarification on what works right the first time for water pump replacement on my 360LA. Specifically with gasket and bolt sealing.

1. Permatex instructions say only lay a bead down on one side of the gasket? Is that what works best?

2. Are only 4 bolts penetrating water passages and need sealing on the threads?

3. Is it ok to us the same Permatex on the gasket and bolt threads?

4. I was given two type of Permatex is one better than the other?

5. The pump is a stock replacement if that make a difference in any of this.

Thanks.

IMG_0714.jpg

I just put a little RTV silicone on the timing cover and stick the gasket onto that......Then use Teflon on the bolt threads that go into the water cooling passages. Some guys like the liquid Teflon, but I just use the tape. Just make sure that you wrap it around the threads in the right direction (clockwise when viewing the bolt from the thread end)......One man's opinion.

I just put a little RTV silicone on the timing cover and stick the gasket onto that......Then use Teflon on the bolt threads that go into the water cooling passages. Some guys like the liquid Teflon, but I just use the tape. Just make sure that you wrap it around the threads in the right direction (clockwise when viewing the bolt from the thread end)......One man's opinion.

Thanks I totally forget about Teflon tape.

I’d avoid the tape it turns to threads and turns into a mess during rebuilds. The white thread sealant is best for water passages.

I use a product by permatex called The Right stuff in Black... on absolutely everything on my engine that permatex or any kind of sealant is used...
For water pump I put it on both sides of the gasket for sure every time on everything.. the four long bolts on either side go into water jackets and I put a little smear of the right stuff in the first quarter inch of the threads... The bottom two bolts on the water pump go through the timing cover into the timing chain area and I put a little on the tips of those threads as well so no oil can come back through....

Thin coat of what you got on both sides of the gasket will work fine. Gasket will seem to go on either way, but look again, it only fits ONE way

-
Back