Water Pump Pulley Question

-
Should be the same for 70-up 318-360 with a/c.

I have a 71 Valiant, factory AC car, single groove wp pulley on mine, but who knows if it is original equipment...

Looking to pickup a double wp pulley somehwere, can't seem to find

Will a chevy or ford pulley work? Those I can find

what do ya need a double pulley on the water pump for??

a/c cars had single pulleys on the water pump. 2 belts went around the crank,alt and a/c compressor on factory 70-up small blocks...

what do ya need a double pulley on the water pump for??

a/c cars had single pulleys on the water pump. 2 belts went around the crank,alt and a/c compressor on factory 70-up small blocks...

I don't like the belt routing on my 318, not should what it should be, but I was going to match my SBC belt routing - or go serpentine for $$$

Currently my setup is as follows:

Pulleys
-triple crank pulley with overdrive (reduced) outer pulley
-single wp pulley
-double alt pulley
-single large ps pulley

Belts
-ALT: belt on middle crank pulley to outer alt pulley (runs under wp)
-PS: belt on outer (reduced) crank pulley to wp pulley to ps pump pulley
newfolder028.jpg

You can vaguely see the ALT belt path in this pic...

The setup on my SBC in my '59 runs the alt belt over the wp too, hence the need for double pulley on the WP, but I haven't installed my AC yet... Here is a pic of the belts on my truck
P1010166.jpg

The AC belt will run over the wp and on the middle crank pulley, not sure why the compressor has a double pulley, options I guess...

Back to my Scamp, I was thinking about running the ALT belt over the wp rather than under it, so something turns my wp in case my ps belt breaks

I guess the question I should have asked is: what is the proper belt routing for my '71 Scamp with AC? Though right now I don't have the AC compressor or brackets...

THE A/C And alternator use double belts and dont touch the water pump..

your power steering belt should not be on the water pump.

I don't like the belt routing on my 318, not should what it should be, but I was going to match my SBC belt routing - or go serpentine for $$$

Currently my setup is as follows:

Pulleys
-triple crank pulley with overdrive (reduced) outer pulley
-single wp pulley
-double alt pulley
-single large ps pulley

Belts
-ALT: belt on middle crank pulley to outer alt pulley (runs under wp)
-PS: belt on outer (reduced) crank pulley to wp pulley to ps pump pulley
newfolder028.jpg

You can vaguely see the ALT belt path in this pic...

The setup on my SBC in my '59 runs the alt belt over the wp too, hence the need for double pulley on the WP, but I haven't installed my AC yet... Here is a pic of the belts on my truck
P1010166.jpg

The AC belt will run over the wp and on the middle crank pulley, not sure why the compressor has a double pulley, options I guess...

Back to my Scamp, I was thinking about running the ALT belt over the wp rather than under it, so something turns my wp in case my ps belt breaks

I guess the question I should have asked is: what is the proper belt routing for my '71 Scamp with AC? Though right now I don't have the AC compressor or brackets...

for a non a/c car: you have the wrong water pump pulley on that motor. you need the deeper non a/c pulley. but you will need the proper crank pulley to use with the non a/c larger dia wp pulley. then the crank,water pump and rear groove on the alt will line up and use a single belt. and the p/s will have a small belt that goes from the crank tto the p/s pump.

for an a/c car: stock 72 style anyway. (not sure what brackets your using in that second pic) you have two belts going crank,a/c (mounted above wp) and alt. then the p/s belt goes wp with that little pulley in your first pic, crank, pump.

stock set up for a 72 a/c small block..

pulley068.jpg

THE A/C And alternator use double belts and dont touch the water pump..

your power steering belt should not be on the water pump.

Hmmm ted, then what drives the water pump?

abodyjoe - thanks for posting the pic. According to that pic the AC and ALT bypass the WP completely and only the PS pump drives the water pump. I doubt the brackets on my car are correct at all actually, there are washers and all sorts of crap that someone (read previous owner) threw in there but I know it is not correct - would love to get a look at the correct pulleys - but I HATE that AC compressor placement already...

The second pic in my post is my 59 chevy, I am only using it as a reference.

You need a 2 groove crank pulley, the inner groove will be slightly larger than the outer.
This is to clear the larger and deeper single groove pulley you need for the water pump.
You will also need the correct non ac alternator brackets.

The water pump, alt, and inner crank pulley use one belt.

The power steering uses the outer crank pulley groove.
As stated by another post.

abodyjoe - thanks for posting the pic. According to that pic the AC and ALT bypass the WP completely and only the PS pump drives the water pump. I doubt the brackets on my car are correct at all actually, there are washers and all sorts of crap that someone (read previous owner) threw in there but I know it is not correct - would love to get a look at the correct pulleys - but I HATE that AC compressor placement already...

yes that is correct. the alt and a/c bypass the wp. the ps drives the wp. the a/c isn't really bad there. kinda a ***** to get to the thremostat though. even the later cars with the smaller alum a/c compressor had it mounted in that area.

Besides junkyards, where can I find the correct brackets for AC, ALT and PS?

Need not be NOS or show quality, just correct in the sense that they line up right with the pulleys

Trolled the junkyards and found a few candidate pulleys, best one is a dual groove WP off a chevy pickup, looks like a good fit. The only issue is diameter, the chevy pulley is 6" dia while my mopar pulley is around 5.5" - not sure the 1/2" difference will hurt anything - anyone have an opinion to share?

Still need correct ALT and PS brackets for my 318, I suspect mine are NOT right at all...

depending on your crank pulley the bigger dia. of the chevy pulley may cause it to hit the crank pulley.

it would all work alot better if ya scrounged up the proper pulleys and brackets. they aren't usually too expensive

depending on your crank pulley the bigger dia. of the chevy pulley may cause it to hit the crank pulley.

it would all work alot better if ya scrounged up the proper pulleys and brackets. they aren't usually too expensive

I hear ya!

I would love to find the proper pulleys and brackets, but this issue may be for naught once my 360 magnum goes in - I have the alu factory brackets and serpentine pulleys :)

All the boneyards here are filled with cars from cash for clunkers and are all late-model - the antique junk yards are EXPENSIVE and no guarantees of finding the right stuff on an old car either

I have posted WTB threads in the Parts Wanted section but no good bites yet...

Not all that cheap, but Mancini sells repops of most of the pulleys & brackets. I just bought one of the Mancini pulleys from SoulSurvivor & it arrived today. VERY nice piece, but I was really glad to get it in unused condition for a little more than half of what Mancini charges.

I know this is an old thread but it's appropriate. I'm having a problem with matching up pulleys. My question is how deep is the >'70 water pump pulley w/o AC or PS?

PS doesn't matter with the WP pulley.. there is a A/C or no A/c the difference is obvious...

chrome is non A/C black is A/C

DSC01401.jpg

DSC01400.jpg

Thanks for the pics! By my measurements, the center of groove of the non-AC pulley is ~2 3/4" from the pump mounting flange. Is this correct?

The reason why I ask is that I have a pulley that is about an inch to short and doesn't line up with the alternator but it's supposed to be for an LA motor.

whats tour pulley look like? if its squared off more like the one on the left in this picture then its for a 69-down la. my original pictures are for a 70-up la.

100_3942-jpg.jpg

-
Back