Waterproof Car Cover

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
I unfortunately have to keep my '73 Swinger outside and had a hard time finding a nice waterproof car cover for a decent price. I found this one at Jegs which does a great job keeping the rain/sun out, but is cheaply made.

JEGS Performance Products 90141: Heavy Duty Car Cover X-Large | JEGS

Anyone have any suggestions on a nice car cover that won't break the bank? Thank you!

I bought mine from Canadian tire on clearance for $50. I believe it was their Motomaster house brand. UV and water resistant Good enuf till I get a California Car cover.

Sorry it was Simoniz. Bought at Canadian tire. If yer in the US Wal-Mart may have it. I got xl cuz it was the only one left. A bit big for 67 fastback but only $50 and 3 yr warranty.

20170802_232508.jpg

No problem.This is my 1st yr with it. Mines gotta stay outside too. Jammed garage.
Good thing is you cut hole for antenna and they provide a reinforcing patch for the hole. Water repellant (not waterproof) UV resistant. I dont believe you can get a "waterproof" cover. They all have to breathe.
Thanks for the follow-up. I was looking at this one just a minute ago. Thanks!

No problem.This is my 1st yr with it. Mines gotta stay outside too. Jammed garage.
Good thing is you cut hole for antenna and they provide a reinforcing patch for the hole. Water repellant (not waterproof) UV resistant. I dont believe you can get a "waterproof" cover. They all have to breathe.
The one from Jegs has a thin PVC outer shell. It really does a great job keeping water out, but rips on the corners easily. It breaths through the seams. All the fabric ones turned to dust in about six months on me.

I (like most of you) hate the thought of any of our cars sitting outside ... even if it's a daily driver. For years, I purchased California Car Covers for all my cars. I never got out of there for under $1K each time. Recently, I have been using the top of the line Budge Protector V covers for the ones that need to be outside. This model is a 5-layer wth an inner fleece lining with a 7 year warranty, built in grommets and straps & buckles.

Now before you chuckle at the Budge name, I know that they make a wide range of products and you've probably seen their economy/low end covers in the auto parts store. Their higher end covers are not sold in the auto parts stores and you buy them direct from the factory. Now, they are not as cheap as $50 but I would stack the V cover up against the more expensive Califirnia Car Covers.

If you opt in to receive their emails, they have sales throughout the year ranging from 30%-40% off. I picked up a V model a few months ago for my b-body when it was 40% off @ approx $138. The same cover right now is only 30% off @ approx $149. Prior to seeing the 40% sale, I picked one up for one of my A-bodies when it was 35% off. Not much of a difference. They have several models of covers depending on your needs. For example, the IV model is approx $115 and is a 4 layer with a 5 year warranty. They also have a Rust-oleum NeverWet cover and so on.

Here's a link to compare the models they have. You guys/gals can take a look and make up your own minds. Also forgot to mention ... free shipping. GL.

1973 DODGE Dart Car Covers with Free Shipping - Budge

Last edited:
The one from Jegs has a thin PVC outer shell. It really does a great job keeping water out, but rips on the corners easily. It breaths through the seams. All the fabric ones turned to dust in about six months on me.

I have to wonder about the breathing through the seams bit. So are the seams supposedly the only areas that aren't made with the PVC outer shell? The seam areas don't seem like enough area to allow the main portions of any cover to breathe out any trapped water/condensation. And some condensation always gets under the main body of any cover especially if you get some rains and then hot days mixed in.

Hello, I just saw an ad from carcovers.com for a waterproof cover with a lifetime warranty that was $179. The cover I bought for my 68 Dart GT I got from coverking.com. That one is custom fit for your car with your choice of any colors, mine is 2 tone red and cream. I have had it over 2 years now with no problems, it was not cheap by any means. With car covers you get what you pay for. Brian

I have to wonder about the breathing through the seams bit. So are the seams supposedly the only areas that aren't made with the PVC outer shell? The seam areas don't seem like enough area to allow the main portions of any cover to breathe out any trapped water/condensation. And some condensation always gets under the main body of any cover especially if you get some rains and then hot days mixed in.
I have purchased a few Budge covers from the parts store and those are the ones that turned to dust. I'll have to look into the one you are talking about. Thanks for the info on it. I never had any moisture issues with the Jegs cover. I think the moisture evaporated though the stitching of the seams. They were not air tight by any means.

One thing to remember when keeping a car outside, covered or not: If at all possible, park it on concrete or asphalt. The moisture coming off of an unpaved surface accelerates rust underneath.
I also like to uncover it occasionally on sunny, low humidity days to avoid the "terrarium" effect.

-
Back