watts link

-

prrc

Reaction score
Any one have a good source for a watts link for our cars? I can't seem to find any. Was trying to avoid building one. But if I have to, so be it.

Never heard of a kit for a bodies. If you do end up building one please post pics. There was a 66 mustang with watts linkage in car mag recently. Looked very nice.

its what i plan to use on my 73 swinger. there is a kit on speedway motors but its a universal kit. something that you need to understand is the only thing that makes it specific or universal is the length of the links...

its what i plan to use on my 73 swinger. there is a kit on speedway motors but its a universal kit. something that you need to understand is the only thing that makes it specific or universal is the length of the links...
I will have to disagree with that. There are several differant designs. The one that I feel is a design that I will use as a referance is the fays2 design, the other design that is interesting is from the circle track guys. They use a jbar design that mounts to the front side of the differential.

Watt's this for?
65 Dart.

Only type of watts link ive ever seen.

Guy_Watts_Link.jpg

Same basic design.different theory on attaching points. The fays system has an adjustable roll center. Also the arms are attached to the housing not the frame rails. The jbar circle track guys attach to the frame rails but attaches the bell crank above the pinion .

Like this.

Attachments

• image b .jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 627
  • watts front view .jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 571
  • watts front view 500.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 555
Problem with Fays2 style is fuel tank clearance. Scratch using a factory tank with that setup.

Problem with Fays2 style is fuel tank clearance. Scratch using a factory tank with that setup.
Yeah, thats about the only thing I don't like about the design. There is always a trade off.

I like their design too and I would bet it only takes a phone call to them with your frame rail dimensions to see what they have that would take the least amount of work to adapt. Between all the Mustang body styles and Gen 1 and 2 Camaro's the odds are pretty good. They might even sell you just the center piece and arms.

a j bar is a front mounted panhard bar, not a watts link.

For interest sake my wife's 2006 Durango has a watts link. Not sure what other years use them.

a j bar is a front mounted panhard bar, not a watts link.

For interest sake my wife's 2006 Durango has a watts link. Not sure what other years use them.
yes I understand the jbar set up.

I worked on a few late model big ford suv's that had an above the pinion watts link. I think they were expeditions. The pivot was cast right into the housing. Could have been 8.8" rear but not sure now.

A Watts Link? To control lateral movement.

That's the purpose of the part. I already knew that. I asked why you would need it. What are you doing with the car that that requires it?

That's the purpose of the part. I already knew that. I asked why you would need it. What are you doing with the car that that requires it?
Running composite leaf springs and building the car for autocross/ road race events of sorts. Events like the motorstate challenge, Run through the hills events.

If you're going to road race or auto X and the rear wheel wells are pretty full of tire, it's important to keep the rear end centered in the chassis. Under extreme loads, leaf springs will try to roll over. It isn't a great deal of movement (maybe 3/4 inch), but if the wheel wells are tight already, the possibility of rubbing the inner fender or the leaf spring is very real. It's not encouraging to throw out tires with good tread and bare sidewalls.

Sounds interesting. What kinda "of sorts" racing? Anything in particular or just havin fun? Or both?

Here's a Watts link combined with a lateral link (to prevent wind-up).

Attachments

• 1940-willys-pickup-watts-linkage-build.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,620
What about a simple panhard bar? That would be the easiest way to do what you are asking. I have seen some set-ups on old dirt superstocks with leaf springs and a pahard bar. You would have to mount it flat otherwise your right and left cornering would be different. If it was height adjustable on both sides you could change your roll center too. There are lots of brackets and things in the AFCO or Howe catalogues.

Or I also found this while surfing
Here's a video I found from a F150 watts link kit
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPzDGXXbwKQ"]Cornergrip.com Watts Link testing on a Saleen S331 - YouTube[/ame]

hey tim. I found a link somewhere where a guy used a setup from a place that does mustang stuff. he said it almost dropped in with minimal mods. I think it was on here!

Hey Eric. Yep thats the one I posted he does a lot of mustang stuff. It's all ready on the way. Need to modify a little. But much quicker than building one from scratch.

-
Back