weak spark from coil...

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
Mallory duel point dis. tested good on a sun machine, mech advance.... from new ballast to pos side of coil... neg side of coil to dis.. one set of points will arch when turning over.. coil wire has to be less than 1/4 away from ground to get a weak spark.... tried new coil. ideas...thanks

What kind of coil?

One thing that will for certain cause this is a bad (or no) condenser (capacitor)

Also, have you checked, what are you getting to the coil for voltage?

Here's a story from the old days.

Remember GM "unisets?" These were points and condensers built as a unit. Originals were obvious.........they had a condenser that LOOKED like a condenser

110130U_thumb.jpg

One evening a friend called could NOT get his new points to make the truck run. He said he could put the old points in and it would run. So I went down, bagged a new set of points, and went over to his place.

We screwed with that thing for I guess a half hour. I finally noticed there WAS NO condenser. Turns out the ones he took out were a "uniset" which had a miniature capacitor which didn't look like anything other than a 'regular' set of points!!!w

Here's a story from the old days.

Remember GM "unisets?" These were points and condensers built as a unit. Originals were obvious.........they had a condenser that LOOKED like a condenser

110130U_thumb.jpg

One evening a friend called could NOT get his new points to make the truck run. He said he could put the old points in and it would run. So I went down, bagged a new set of points, and went over to his place.

We screwed with that thing for I guess a half hour. I finally noticed there WAS NO condenser. Turns out the ones he took out were a "uniset" which had a miniature capacitor which didn't look like anything other than a 'regular' set of points!!!w
yes I remember.... thanks...

-
Back