Weiand Stealth on larger port heads

-

stumblinhorse

Reaction score
Trying to plan on machining work for my stroker build. This will be a simple torque-y street motor in a truck. Not building for max HP. My question is what I need to do to the intake when I put a Stealth small port intake on a larger port head.

Stealth port size 1.96x1.00

Heads will be like 2.25x1.2

Do I need to open up the intake? or not worry about it?

The ports taper to the small size and just need opened up. Stink your fingers in the ports and you'll feel the transition. I think it is only on 2 sides of each that need opened. Unless they changed the casting in 20 years that's the way mine is.

Most folks are going to need to know more about your combo to give an opinion on keeping it stock or opening them up.

Combo is going to be pretty straight forward. la390 4" stroke 318. Trying to work out a deal to stay stock looking with some 2.02" J heads unported. Going in a 69 d100 truck. Going to be 10.5 or so SCR with the J's and the deck zeroed. I live at 7000ft. So detonation is not a problem with pump gas. Looking for good torque, so I am going with a 230/[email protected] Cam, maybe a high lift version to help get more air in for the elevation.

Not looking to do any real porting to the heads. And I already own the intake and it is on the engine, I figured to reuse it and don't think I could screw it up enlarging the ports a little... If needed?

7000 ft, truck body, and wanting low end, I might back off that duration if it were me

I've got an LD4B on my 340 and it sounds like a similar situation to what you have there. Small port intake on larger port heads. It works pretty good in my opinion. Good throttle response all the way to the top, but I'm pretty sure that there's more top end available with an Air Gap with proper size ports. In your case though, that stroker is probably going to want even more air and the intake could hold it back on the low end too. If it is like dano describes, I'd open them up and use the gasket as a template to get them close or match to the head if you want to.

Sound like you like to breath the same air i do.:poke::D
I would choose a cam manufacture, and then have them build you a custom cam that will take advantage of that thin air.

An off the shelf cam was designed with sea level air in mind. If you get someone(Cam Company) to build you a cam around you altitude. it will pay off way more than matching that intake or for that matter changing to a better manifold.
just my .02 cents
I would still match port the intake.

I enlarged the ports on a Weiand Action Plus, the Stealth is supposedly identical but for the Action+ spreadbore carb mounting? I gasket matched (among other grinder work) and went in deep enough to eliminate the transition so the roof of each runner has a nice contour.

2018-10-27-00-12-23--838663745.jpeg

-
Back