Weight loss and perseverance

-
Thank u kindly. Kim
I’m glad to share! I had to learn a lot on my own through this journey and one of my goals is to make it easier for others to gain the benefit of what I have learned so that they can use it themselves in the most productive way.

That's fantastic, Dave! Kitty and I made the decision to go on the Whole30. After that, we're going on the Keto plan. I've already got ahead start, as all I've been drinking for over a month is water and black coffee. We'll see how it goes.

That's fantastic, Dave! Kitty and I made the decision to go on the Whole30. After that, we're going on the Keto plan. I've already got ahead start, as all I've been drinking for over a month is water and black coffee. We'll see how it goes.
Cool! Glad you are going for it. Different things work better for different folks than others. Mine is just one approach.

If you ever want to chat about what you are doing or just want to share, I’m always glad to talk.

Cool! Glad you are going for it. Different things work better for different folks than others. Mine is just one approach.

If you ever want to chat about what you are doing or just want to share, I’m always glad to talk.

Thanks Dave! That's much appreciated. I may just do that.

This is interesting for me and a personal priority. I took the dog to the vet today for his annual shots and health evaluation and the Vet says he’s a bit over weight and needs to lose about 6 lbs.

Hmmm...

I came home and set to work applying all I have learned and refocused it on the dog. First priority was to research vet medical databases and to determine canine metabolic levels and caloric needs.

His base daily calorie burn is 675 calories per day based on age, size and activity level. His intake is around 710 calories per day. Oops, he’s upside down like I was, no wonder he is slowly gaining weight.

Then I double checked the numbers using reverse calculation of his weight over time vs. his intake. Yep, the numbers are correct.

Using that information, I formulated a plan where he gets one less treat in the evening, one less tablespoon of wet food mixed with dinner...and an extra walk in the middle of the day.

He should hit his ideal target weight in 15 months.

Welcome to the program Sparky!

Woof!

This is interesting for me and a personal priority. I took the dog to the vet today for his annual shots and health evaluation and the Vet says he’s a bit over weight and needs to lose about 6 lbs.

Hmmm...

I came home and set to work applying all I have learned and refocused it on the dog. First priority was to research vet medical databases and to determine canine metabolic levels and caloric needs.

His base daily calorie burn is 675 calories per day based on age, size and activity level. His intake is around 710 calories per day. Oops, he’s upside down like I was, no wonder he is slowly gaining weight.

Then I double checked the numbers using reverse calculation of his weight over time vs. his intake. Yep, the numbers are correct.

Using that information, I formulated a plan where he gets one less treat in the evening, one less tablespoon of wet food mixed with dinner...and an extra walk in the middle of the day.

He should hit his ideal target weight in 15 months.

Welcome to the program Sparky!

Woof!
Did you check your numbers???:poke:

Well, it’s just over halfway through the month and my new weight is 218 lbs making it 97 lbs lost now. I’m closing in on that 100 lb goal and (hopefully) hitting it by Valentines day.

Oh yeah, and Sparky the dog is down 1/2 lb making his new weight 40.4 lbs....right on track.

Still going!

I had to smile when my 16 year old daughter wanted to try some chicken and rice my wife was making asked “How many calories in that and what is a portion size?”

What I am doing has rubbed off on her and she is learning early in life how to manage her energy intake in a thoughtful way.

I got an even bigger smile when my wife immediately knew the answer to her question and dished out a correct portion size for her to have.

My wife has lost 40 lbs so far following what I am doing and my daughter has lost 25 lbs. Both are now mindful of how much they consume and are enjoying the control and freedom of choosing how much to eat and when to achieve their weight goals without sacrificing what they like to eat.

That is great to hear
Thanks!

I have 33 lbs to go, my wife has 25 lbs to go and my daughter is at her target weight and holding.

Sparky the dog has 5.5 lbs to go.

Still more progress to be made and maintained...but we are getting there!

:thumbsup:

For anyone that’s interested, here is a visual chart of what various men’s body fat percentages look like.

When I started this journey, I was just over 50%. I am now at about 27% based on my electrical impedance meter (and the visual observation is close). My goal is 12-15%.

I find this visual chart useful for motivation and determining goals.

D9DAE43B-C176-41D3-BFDD-F5B821B03C01.jpeg

Ideal weight for men is determined at 15-17% body fat. It can be calculated by using 106 lbs for the first 5’ of height and then adding 6 lbs per inch over 5’. If you are large frame (wrist measurement of more than 7.25” at the smallest part of the wrist at the base of the hand), add 10%

A 5’10” man has and ideal weight of 166 lbs for average frame and 182 lbs for a large frame.

Most men over 5’ 8” are either average frame or large frame.

These are general guidelines, but they are very close and quite reasonable. The visual observation just adds another layer to help tailor the goals for each individual.

In my case, my goal is 185 lbs which puts me at 16% body fat. I will then use excercise and muscle building to replace some of the mass with muscle to get to 12-15% body fat. It’s all part of the plan.

Losing the weight is just the first phase, building the body I want is the second phase.

Ideal weight for men is determined at 15-17% body fat. It can be calculated by using 106 lbs for the first 5’ of height and then adding 6 lbs per inch over 5’. If you are large frame (wrist measurement of more than 7.25” at the smallest part of the wrist at the base of the hand), add 10%

A 5’10” man has and ideal weight of 166 lbs for average frame and 182 lbs for a large frame.

Most men over 5’ 8” are either average frame or large frame.

These are general guidelines, but they are very close and quite reasonable. The visual observation just adds another layer to help tailor the goals for each individual.

In my case, my goal is 185 lbs which puts me at 16% body fat. I will then use excercise and muscle building to replace some of the mass with muscle to get to 12-15% body fat. It’s all part of the plan.

Losing the weight is just the first phase, building the body I want is the second phase.

Thanks for all the great info, Dave!

I’m glad you are finding it helpful Rob. I spent a lot of time educating myself on this stuff while struggling to understand it all...and I am happy that others can use at least some of what I have learned to help them on their journey.

Kinda like the car knowledge we share.

I’m glad you are finding it helpful Rob. I spent a lot of time educating myself on this stuff while struggling to understand it all...and I am happy that others can use at least some of what I have learned to help them on their journey.

Kinda like the car knowledge we share.

My wife has been doing a similar kind of program but not as religiously as you. She has lost 50 pounds in the first year and that was her unofficial goal. She wants to lose another 50 and right now she is at 57. I read some of your posts to her and she was very interested and impressed with your journey. Thanks for sharing and providing all this valuable information. Steve

My wife has been doing a similar kind of program but not as religiously as you. She has lost 50 pounds in the first year and that was her unofficial goal. She wants to lose another 50 and right now she is at 57. I read some of your posts to her and she was very interested and impressed with your journey. Thanks for sharing and providing all this valuable information. Steve
Thanks Steve, I’m glad I could help. If you ever want a more personal discussion for you or your wife, just PM me and I will be glad to help in whatever way I can. My wife and daughter are following the same program I am and we can share anything you or she might find useful.

Well, I set myself back...but for a good reason.

I have afib and after months of data logging, I realized that I had made it worse by dropping my sodium level too low about 6 months ago. Everyone is different with afib triggers, and mine is electrolyte balance.

I increased my sodium a couple of weeks ago by about 400 mg/day and it has significantly reduced the afib. The downside is that I have gained about a pound of water weight.

Disappointing on the scale, but a necessary change.

This will put me behind my goals by a few weeks...but still making progress!

Total health is more important than a date on the calendar to hit a goal.

Last weigh-in day of the month and even with the water weight gain from the extra sodium, I still managed to lose another lb.

My new weight is 217 lbs making it a total of 98 lbs lost.

Last time I was at this weight was 1991, 30 years ago.

Now, to get to the 100 lb lost mark by the end of February just a few weeks behind target...

Still going!

I'm at almost 28 pounds gone since December 1st. Keep on pluggin.

I'm at almost 28 pounds gone since December 1st. Keep on pluggin.
Cool! Glad you are making such good progress!

Just a small word of advice...don’t push too fast and risk setting your metabolism back. A quick burst out of the gate is fine, but throttle back into a comfortable rate after that.

You are doing great!

Cool! Glad you are making such good progress!

Just a small word of advice...don’t push too fast and risk setting your metabolism back. A quick burst out of the gate is fine, but throttle back into a comfortable rate after that.

You are doing great!

I'm just eatin what all is on the list and it's comin off. It's been easier than I though so far......hopefully that won't change. lol

-
Back