weight of fiberglass parts

-
I have glass doors on my duster and they saved 70#s a piece. My glass hood saved 20 #s and its a bolt on hood.

5-6 weeks later im still waiting on my fiberglass bumpers to come in,my steel doors have been stripped and holes drilled in them,very light weight

AAR Bolt on decklid weighs 26-28lbs

Steel decklid weighs 45lbs

I can't give you exact #'s but - I have a fiberglass hood and deck lid on the car right now - and I still have the old OEM deck lid kicking around too - the OEM piece is a bit cumbersome (because of the weight, not it's size) and has to weigh in around 40-45lbs - the fb one - maybe 25-30lbs if I had to guess - may even be lighter-- it's light. As for the hood, I no longer own an OEM one, but I do recall it was a PINA to move around - the fg one on the other hand I could easily lift myself except I am careful not to hurt the fg and/or the paint. As for the doors - I still have both - the OEM ones are friggin' heavy - those fg ones.. 1/3 the weight if that... the OEM one still have glass in them - the fg ones are still bare. Maybe I'll get the scale out when I get home and find out - now I am curious too.

I took 52 lbs out of each of my 73 duster doors. The glass, steel girder, window mechanism ect. Lost 22 lbs skinning the trunk lid. No hood- no bumpers...:D

I took 52 lbs out of each of my 73 duster doors. The glass, steel girder, window mechanism ect. Lost 22 lbs skinning the trunk lid. No hood- no bumpers...:D

I have toyed with the idea of street weight lexan pre formed windows. Just not sure how they hold up to regular use

I understand getting a car light but I rather mine be light and still look as much stock as possible. Not look like a tin can.

oh hell, I got busy and forgot about this - I'll get it done tomorrow. 12/21...or not, I forgot that all the parts that I am not using are out in the storage shed.. don't hold your breath waiting for me to get this done - everything is packed away pretty tightly and I have no desire to fight with it all..

fiberglass doors are the best weight saver for the money. You would have a hard time knowing mine were fiberglass other than the lexan. Plus it is so easy to remove the door.

I understand getting a car light but I rather mine be light and still look as much stock as possible. Not look like a tin can.

It can be done

Glass bumpers, hood and fenders. You need quality glass and a body shop that knows how to block out parts. YOu can even chrome glass fenders now a days.

Attachments

• 943197_10201040519284569_1106180996_n.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 222
Watch the ounces, and the pounds take care of themselves.

It was about 80 pounds a door and 20 for the hood the fenders was about 30 each its worth. it for sure

DO the doors open and shut nice fore street use? Does the glass go up and down nice?

It can be done

Glass bumpers, hood and fenders. You need quality glass and a body shop that knows how to block out parts. YOu can even chrome glass fenders now a days.

Same here, glass fenders, hood and bumpers. You cannot tell they are fiberglass.

Attachments

• masondixon 3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 176
My windows dont go up and down. I reused all the parts but the interior latch. Door opens and closes fine you just have to remember not to go crazy with them. I fot mine drom vfn theirs does have a lip on the top. I plan on removing the lip on mine and making quick releace pad for my lexan.

-
Back