Weird droning sound

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
Maybe someone can give me some ideas,last year i replaced my driveshaft, had one made for the car from a reputable place , then i bought a new third member for my 8 3/4 , 3:91 posi, again from a reputable source , went through his breakin procedure to a tee. Installed the stuff last year but last night was the first time i attempted to take it on the highway, once i hit about 49 mph, crazy loud humming sound, hard to explain!sounds like something gonna let go

Maybe someone can give me some ideas,last year i replaced my driveshaft, had one made for the car from a reputable place , then i bought a new third member for my 8 3/4 , 3:91 posi, again from a reputable source , went through his breakin procedure to a tee. Installed the stuff last year but last night was the first time i attempted to take it on the highway, once i hit about 49 mph, crazy loud humming sound, hard to explain!sounds like something gonna let go

Get the rear end off the ground and find it.
First guess would be driveshaft.

I took my shaft to a recommended race shop and had it balanced to the tune of $150.
Guess what, it was still out of balance an amount that it still droned and vibrated the car.

I had a pilot bushing wear out and caused that problem, If the input shaft wobbles because of a sloppy bushing it will cause the tail shaft to run out of center and that will whip the drive shaft. I had my drive shaft balanced also and no difference then I dug deeper and found that.

Make sure the u-joints are seated correctly

-
Back