Weird Starting Scenario

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Recently, I have had something different going on with my Duster. When I turn the key to start the motor, it will crank, crank, and crank over some more, but as soon as I let go of the key, it fires right up.

Does this sound like some kind of issue with the ballast resistor? Should I be overly concerned? I can turn the motor over for a split second and let go of the key into the run position and it will fire (if warm of course).

Theres a problem somewhere. Could be ignition switch , module, or just the ballast resistor.

Theres a problem somewhere. Could be ignition switch , module, or just the ballast resistor.

Could it be potentially from the wiring harness next to the coil which has alternator field wires running through it? I had to replace the bluw field wire, as it was cracked and arching off of the coil bracket. I pulled that harness apart and replaced the blue field wire. The car fired up and ran (with this condition) and is charging normally.

Check the bulkhead wire connections. My Dart does that all the time. If you have a wiring diagram, you can find the terminals and push them in on each side.

Put a test light on the coil side of the resistor. With the key in run, it should light up, then hit it to start and see if the light goes out. If it does, check the bulkhead connection and test light the wire at the bulkhead, interior side that is ignition hot when starting. If the wire is hot inside, then the connectors aren't making contact.

I had that same problem with a 74 duster...I believe it was a bad ground in the column...but it definately was in the column..

I took it out driving last night and it ran, but had a slight miss that was getting worse with heating. When I got home, I found the problem. It turns out that the blue alt field wire was burnt on the other side of the connector, all of the way to the point where it provides power to the ignition box. There are two wires connected together at that point. That is where the carnage ended. Luckily, the length of wire continuing past that into the bulkhead on the fire wall is ok, but I doubt much power was passing through it. With the burning of that wire, the wire that leads through the connector and into the positive side of the coil is just slightly burned, probably enough to cause the miss.

With that said, it looks like I am going to be replacing a few wires this evening. Its surprising that it even ran.

-
Back