welcome the kid, please

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Howdy, all. My name is Robert and I had to sign up and let you all know about one of the latest members of the Mopar owners club: Jamison. Not sure what he's calling himself on here, so shout out his real name and give him him some props. I'm his uncle and I'll give you some autobiographical details.
Last summer he was given a '72 Gold Duster 318/904 that has been in our family since 1980. My sister bought the car when she was serving in the Navy stationed in Memphis. She sold the car to one of her servicemates who took the car to Texas, blew it up, had a local Votech rebuild another LA for it, then drove it back to Memphis and gave it back to my sister. The local Votech dropped in a 360 mated to the original 318/904 convertor, left out half the bearings on the mains, but some how (hey, we know how, it's a Mopar!) got it back to TN.
My dad (Jamison's grandfather) needed a car, (by this time it was 1981) so my sister gave him the Duster. A died-in-wool, true-to-the-Blue-Oval Ford truck man and AMC/Jeep (mainly Jeep) diehard, this was the first Mopar Pop had owned. With vibration issues, loud internal noises, and general mess of everything except the body (it was a TN car) he dove into it, found what the idiots in the Texas had done. What impressed him was that even with half the bearings missings the crank showed no scoring! Instant Mopar convert.
Pop has had the Duster for quite a few years now, running a built 360/727 with 3.23 8 3/4 Sure-Grip until the frame rails started showing some rot. She was parked and attention was paid to a '74 Barracuda (now in my possession, thanks Pop!) the engine was donated to an '82 Diplomat (thank again, Pop!) and the Duster was given to my brother. Brother John realized that he'd never be able to donate the time and energy into doing the car right so he hand the keys over to Jamison.
Jamison is now the fourth owner, third generation in the family to own the car. I won't reveal his age, but let's say he's a minor, and could care less about the rice burning detuners with the fart can mufflers and erector set spoilers. Jamison likes the rumble of big horse V8's, especially Mopars, and is tallying the parts and money he'll need to get her in shape. The 360 we'll build for it is in my garage, bought from a friend of mine, the 4-speed has been in his grandfather's possession for years now. The 8 3/4 will stay where it's at, maybe with a gear swap though (?), that'll be up to the kid.
Since this is his first car and he'll be learning to drive on it we'll do it with that in mind, with the idea of big brakes, great handling (maybe something along the lines of Erhenberg's Green Brick) and nothing too big under the hood (yet.)
So give Jamison a shout out and welcome him into the fold as a fellow Mopar owner and A-body, knowing that this is the car that got his grandfather, a man who cut his teeth hot rodding flatheads back in the day, into the Mopar or No Car fold.

Cool story ramenth....:cheers:

Welcome to FABO and to your nephew Jamison

Welcome to the both of you. I like to hear stories of cars that have been in the same family for many years.

What a great story and it warms my hart to here the way it got back to a young gun here. Thank you for the up date. Know where is he at?

Welcome to FABO!

What's this about Tennessee cars???? Mine doesn't look too bad. LOL

We're glad to have you both here.

..............2'nd gen
passed to 3'rd gen
lineage to 4'th gen

Bravo!!!

Only MOPAR !

oh damn .... (my manners sometimes)

Welcome.

(as close to Hemi orange as the color selection allows)

Jamison does have pics, but I think he's waiting to get the car to his house to post 'em. Just scored some more parts for him if he chooses to use 'em: have some 15"x7" inches alloys off an old '87 5th Ave I scrapped a while back and a buddy of mine just gave him a set of 16x7 from an Explorer that can be made to look generic with the right center cap.

He's in here under dodgepower by the way (don't ask me why since the car's a Plymouth...)

Great situation,

Drive it till the doors fall off, then fix and drive mopar, eh, more.

Hope fuel stays affordable, kids need to cruz, it's in the jeans:glasses7:

Again welcome, these are a great bunch of people,

LCjeff

-
Back