Welder question

-

swifter

Reaction score
So--I have a new project to start on--68 Valiant,I have now a cheap Campbell--110 volt wire feed welder--Will this suffice for body work or not???
oh yes it has a gas cylinder is not flux core welder--Thanks Steve

it might work for body metal turn it up i dont think you will need to worry about burnin through.

So--I have a new project to start on--68 Valiant,I have now a cheap Campbell--110 volt wire feed welder--Will this suffice for body work or not???
oh yes it has a gas cylinder is not flux core welder--Thanks Steve

flux-core is the type of wire you feed it, which is what i use. mine is set-up for gas but i havent used it. im using .035 to be exact. it comes in various thicknesses. i have used mine for 22 gauge sheet metal , up to 1/8 plate. try various gauge metal for practice to get your settings where they need to be (heat range/wire speed/technic). i did all my body welding with mine. im sure more experienced folks will chime in

flux-core is the type of wire you feed it, which is what i use. mine is set-up for gas but i havent used it. im using .035 to be exact. it comes in various thicknesses. i have used mine for 22 gauge sheet metal , up to 1/8 plate. try various gauge metal for practice to get your settings where they need to be (heat range/wire speed/technic). i did all my body welding with mine. im sure more experienced folks will chime in
and one just did....use gas turn up the heat you dont want big gobs of cold weld biggest mistake of rookie welders. way cleaner nicer weld with gas

Unless your welder puts out little amperage, you can still easily blow holes in sheet metal with a 110v welder. It should have setting recommendations for various gauge steel - which are a starting point. And yes, gas is your friend - definitely use it. Like 74A said, practice.

As stated above, flux-core is ok, but gas will give you much nicer welds.

I vote gas as well...much cleaner weld and less smoke.
Test it on an old hood or fender each welders settings are different you'll have to find that sweet spot.The sound will tell a lot as well nice smooth crackle should be heard.
Lots of instructional videos on Youtube check a few out.Most probably your welder brand has their own video on Youtube as many brands do now.

Gas all the way.
Nicer welds and actually easier.
Flux core throws crap everywhere.

I started with the Campbell 110volt gasless unit. I use low amp setting for body panels. Tack, tack, tack, let cool, repeat.

I still use the Campbell flux core when welding outside in a windy environment.

-
Back