Welder too cheap to be true?

-
that looks alot like a harbor freight unit. buyer beware. i would never buy a used welder without running it first.

I agree I looked at one exactly like it a few days ago at HF, they are not built to run continuously. It you have Tractor Supply near you they have a Hobart EZ 140 on sale for $449.99 and they also have layaway.

I agree I looked at one exactly like it a few days ago at HF, they are not built to run continuously. It you have Tractor Supply near you they have a Hobart EZ 140 on sale for $449.99 and they also have layaway.

Tractor Supply has lawaway??? This is going to be big trouble for me, with the wife!!!!
I agree, buy a Hobart(tan Miller). You can't go wrong.

Here are a couple welders that go on sale Wednesday here in Stillwater. Rebates come back quick as it is a local Oklahoma and some surrounding border towns group of stores. The hq is in Enid.

Attachments

• Welder.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 596
Tractor Supply has lawaway??? This is going to be big trouble for me, with the wife!!!!
I agree, buy a Hobart(tan Miller). You can't go wrong.

Yes they have 90 day layaway and it's going to get me in trouble soon. :banghead:

if you run a shelf shielding wire you wont need gas, so save your money unless you plan on weldin up more then 1/4 inch plate

i have a harbor cheap welder, ugliest beads ever but it does join metal. (holding the top shock mounts on my jeep) then again i use it once a year, part of that is because of all the fancy machines at school

My projects are small, nothing where I'd run a welder continuous. But since I'm still making holes n stuff in my dart, I'll wait until I'm done cutting and punching before I plug all my leaks.

So what I'm taking away from this is.... test it before I buy it. (perfect maybe I'll make this guy weld up a few things in my dart and then tell him... yeah.. don't like it afterall :p)

(just kidding on the last bit)

if your plugin up holes in the floor then that cheapo will work (turn it down a bit n practice on somethin else first)

if your welding a new motor mount bracket then buy the good welder

and thats not a bad idea actually haha

and if you do buy that welder check what roll of filler metal is on it. itl say E70T-6 or something like that, google it n see whats up. i could talk all day but if you have anymore questions post it or pm me (at school for welding)

if all else fails go to a true welding shop and pick their brains, not sure who would work at a tractor place but i know a weld shop dude will know what hes talkin about

Buy a welder once, get one that can run gas.
Just like a compressor, or a tool box, buy the best you can. Someday you will need the extra capacity. I think the flux core welders are supposed to put out a lot of splatter. Any welder will weld thicker stuff Within reason. You want one that can be turned down far enough to not blow through sheet metal and leave a bunch of splatter cleanup.

I started with a flux core when I started my charger sheet metal I tried every setting on the lower side [Lincoln] could not get it to weld worth a damn [burned more holes than made welds] I switched to a Hobart 120 Handler with gas and did a good job with out many burn thru. I had never welded before this and the gas made it so much better. Flux spatters badly and on the thin sheet metal it burns thru [my experience]. Go with gas!

I started with a flux core when I started my charger sheet metal I tried every setting on the lower side [Lincoln] could not get it to weld worth a damn [burned more holes than made welds] I switched to a Hobart 120 Handler with gas and did a good job with out many burn thru. I had never welded before this and the gas made it so much better. Flux spatters badly and on the thin sheet metal it burns thru [my experience]. Go with gas!
Gas is the only way to go. I have a Hobart Handler? 185 that I bought 10 years ago. It works great!!! I run steelmix gas and .023 wire for body work and change to .030 for pipe, steel tubing and heavy plate.

I'm with the majority buy the best you can with your budget and get one the uses gas. Flux core wire makes a big mess with burn through and the splatter. I have a Miller 250 for bigger jobs and a Snap On for sheet metal and Tig welding both work great for the job I got them for. Use your friends to guide you in the right direction, and if someone is sell a weld cheap it is not doing the job they got it for and they just want out

I called one of their dealers that was listed. They never heard of Longevity welders, so I went to tractor supply.

:eek:ops: I was looking at the Miller 140 and a friend suggested I look at this one. He bought it but has yet to use it so his opinion is currently unavailable, lol.

Check out Eastwood. I like mine. Seems to work for a rookie.

-
Back