Welding on car with Sniper EFI

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well Hello FABO.

1967 Barracuda Fastback 4 speed 383 with a sniper EFI.

Changing out the 14" summit mufflers due to my age and wondering everything I need to disconnect from the electrical system to weld on her. Mind you, I will be making only tack welds then removing from header collectors back for final weld.

Batt
ignition box
efi unit

anything else???

engine ground?

Thanks in advance.

Well Hello FABO.

1967 Barracuda Fastback 4 speed 383 with a sniper EFI.

Changing out the 14" summit mufflers due to my age and wondering everything I need to disconnect from the electrical system to weld on her. Mind you, I will be making only tack welds then removing from header collectors back for final weld.

Batt
ignition box
efi unit

anything else???

engine ground?

Thanks in advance.

I have a fitech and welded in the 4 spd hump with just the negative on the battery disconnected. Not sure if anything would removed.

I've never had to do more than disconnect the battery on any modern car when welding; but if it makes you feel better, go ahead and unplug anything with a module or integrated circuit.

I've done it with the battery disconnected, but the last time I welded on my exhaust I didn't bother. Keep the ground clamp close to the area being welded, and on the parts being welded.
Don't ground to the chassis to weld exhaust, for example.

Well, I did the usual overkill and unplugged the efi, ignition, batt and engine ground. Total was 2.5 min.

Ill report back if it doesn't start, otherwise, I really appreciate the response!!

For me, induced currents are the danger, as well as unplanned loops/ current paths: example, a sensitive sensor, and such as O2. Here you are, you have a sensor on a length of wire, terminated to a piece of exhaust. If you are welding on the exhaust, and the ground to the frame / body to the welder is better than the welder ground to the pipe, the O2 harness will see current which will try to flow back through the computer on the EFI

For me, induced currents are the danger, as well as unplanned loops/ current paths: example, a sensitive sensor, and such as O2. Here you are, you have a sensor on a length of wire, terminated to a piece of exhaust. If you are welding on the exhaust, and the ground to the frame / body to the welder is better than the welder ground to the pipe, the O2 harness will see current which will try to flow back through the computer on the EFI
Forgot to undo the ol O2. Dammit!

Well, I'm re assembling mañana and ill find out if i fried it.

Thanks D!

I made a video but haven't figured how to attach..... but it is quieter with the Dynomax 20" and....

It starts!

-
Back