Well Crap :-)

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I have been looking at all the possibilities on a rear end swap for some time now, and one of our local guy's gave me an 8.25 with nice condition 3:55 gears.
The 3:55's would be about perfect for my car with the 42RH overdrive.
Another one of our group says he has a 8.25 clutch style Sure Grip carrier that fits this 8.25 that he doesn't have any use for because he's going with an 8.75 for his 440 swap.

I will have to shorten the 8.25 but I can handle that no problem.

Neither the guy that gave me the rear end nor the guy he got it from can find the carrier bearing caps, bolts, adjusters and adjuster locks.

The cover was on it when I got it, and I found this out when I opened it to start the shortening process.
Who separates parts like that?

Dammit.:D

That sucks ! Some people don't understand how important some parts are,
they are machined together and you might get lucky and find a set that will work, or not. You know what I mean. I got a set of billet caps for a Dana 60 and they had to be line bored and milled to fit. Hope you can find some used ones that will fit or just get another housing.

Can't hep ya buddy. "I went Ferd" (9"). I do have a couple of 8 1/4's layin' around

Correct, threaded adjusters and female threads in case and caps make pretty much everything but the original caps a deal breaker.

Vertical offset is the problem. If you could find caps that matched vertically. some grinding and spacing could work. But an empty 8.25 housing with caps should be close to free.

Vertical offset is the problem. If you could find caps that matched vertically. some grinding and spacing could work. But an empty 8.25 housing with caps should be close to free.

If I could find one.
I waited for months before this one came up, but I do have shitloads of patience.:D

That has to suck.
I have a housing,submerged, and axles/gears are junk.
Good housing needs everything else. I would give it to the right needy guy.

That has to suck.
I have a housing,submerged, and axles/gears are junk.
Good housing needs everything else. I would give it to the right needy guy.

Yes, but would you deliver?:D
There is a fantastic update on the chain of events.

The original guy that it came from said he has another complete 3:23 rear end he would give me because he said he didn't need it.
This one has the clutch type sure grip in it with apparently nothing wrong with it as it was in another car he pulled it from.
I just need to shorten it and get axles for it, which would totally be worth doing obviously.
He thinks he is going to give it to me for free but I'm not letting him get away with that.:mob:

Daing, I'm insanely jealous of that deal. I'm about to start a posting on building a 9-1/4. I know they are not a favorite among many, but I know someone who is even harder on their junk than I am and has never damaged one of these or the factory chrysler sure grip that came in trucks an ramchargers. He has actually broken several Dana HD truck axles though!

I have been pretty rough on my 9-1/4” in my 80 power wagon.
470,000 km’s on it.

I’ve often wondered why the 9 1/4 isn’t used more. I have abused the hell out of them in several different trucks over the years and have had very few problems. I think one would last forever in an A body.

I would let your friend with the big block aspirations know that a D60 will probably serve him better..

-
Back