What’s a 360 worth

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a line on a 360 on FB Marketplace that is local to me. Appears to have the crank, heads, etc. It is completely disassembled thus I would call it a core. Casting number is 4006830-360. What’s it worth? He’s asking $400

I would negotiate for sure. That’s a typical price range but you can find them cheaper sometimes. What I found it varies by location. I would need to know the history of it, Standard bore? Why was it taking apart? Did it spin a cam bearing or crank bearing? Has it been over heated? Does the crank look useable or does it need grinding/polishing. I would start around $200 and work up to what you’re comfortable spending for it. But hey $400 no haggle is not terrible if they are in fact good parts.

I paid 80.00 for a disassembled but complete 360 engine.

And 300.00 for a low mileage running 360

I have a line on a 360 on FB Marketplace that is local to me. Appears to have the crank, heads, etc. It is completely disassembled thus I would call it a core. Casting number is 4006830-360. What’s it worth? He’s asking $400
Cores are getting harder to come buy if you want a 360 and not a 5.9. If you have an immediate need for it and bores and crank look good it is probably worth 300 to 400. If you dont need it right away you can probably find a better deal but don't know what you are getting without pulling heads and oil pan.

I paid $250 for my complete and assembled 1991 roller 360LA in Reno. I bored and honed it out to 0.030, decked it, honed the mains, and it sits at the machinist's shop waiting for his further attention.

Totally depends on location and condition. If it's a good buildable core with nothing cracked and everything can be machined into a good engine, 400 is not unreasonable, IMO. Of course money talks.

Last edited:
$400 is not too shabby for a rebuildable core... Plus half the work is done.
It's $275 here at a local U-pull-it yard. And I do mean, You pull it.

For a 400 core I'd expect a complete assembled engine. COMPLETE.
How long ago? People keep talking prices when they are looking at something I have for sale and they usually say 4 or 5 years ago....pre-scamdemic.
From the pictures he sent on Marketplace, it appears everything is there, just disassembled
To me, being disassemble can be plus....but having ALL of the fasteners too is an even bigger plus. These days, not sure how much of that stuff I still have. My stock pile is getting smaller and smaller as I let more go through my pile of fastengers.
I paid 80.00 for a disassembled but complete 360 engine.

And 300.00 for a low mileage running 360
How long ago and did you get all the fasteners etc? I know lots of people want to go with new fasteners but there's lots of fasteners that are not all that critical as say head bolts can be. One plus of a complete engine is that someone that's experienced can usually tell if the engine has ever been apart.

How long ago? People keep talking prices when they are looking at something I have for sale and they usually say 4 or 5 years ago....pre-scamdemic.

To me, being disassemble can be plus....but having ALL of the fasteners too is an even bigger plus. These days, not sure how much of that stuff I still have. My stock pile is getting smaller and smaller as I let more go through my pile of fastengers.

How long ago and did you get all the fasteners etc? I know lots of people want to go with new fasteners but there's lots of fasteners that are not all that critical as say head bolts can be. One plus of a complete engine is that someone that's experienced can usually tell if the engine has ever been apart.

My thoughts exactly. Prices today are no where near what they were even 5 years ago. I make this mistake all the time when talking with people because most of my drivetrain was purchased 10-15+ years ago.

I can’t find the blocks and cranks for 50.00 like I did a few years ago. But then again I quit looking and buying them as I’m stocked up. I’m betting I could probably find one for 250.00 today if I really needed one. I was called yesterday asking if I needed a 904. He’s pissed off over an ongoing leak and bought a 4 speed. Lol

Buying used engine pieces is like what Forest Gump said about Life, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get "
For example the valve seats may be sunk, guides trashed, etc. And you won't know it till you take the heads apart
I would feel safe at $300

On the other hand, I bought a complete 360 magnum, without accessories, running for $300, and another one without accessories for $150. I had to pass on one a member piled from his truck, running, complete with accessories for $250 but it was a thousand miles away. Seen many other situations where a 360 mag was downright cheap !!

Before you make the decision to do an LA engine, check out the possibilities of a 360 mag. The only real disadvantage I can think of with a mag, is the availability of magnum specific intakes and heads.
If this is a street car, you'll be fine

There's a post somewhere where I listed all the engines specs LA versus magnum. The term Magnum as used in Mopars, reflects the very top of the line in power and quality for a specific engine..
383 Magnum
440 Magnum
360 Magnum

Thus, the 360 Magnum is superior
BONE STOCK FROM THE FACTORY

On the home page here , go to the magnifying glass pic and type
"360 magnum " there's tons of good info here

Check out magnumswap.com

Last edited:
I picked up a 1971 360 out of a C body car with a two barrel on it for $250 running best engine I ever found....727 was another $125

Looking at it another way, MOST builds that come back from a torn down core will cost over $4,000, unless you're just cutting the build to the BONE. So that means a core for 400 bucks is ONE TENTH or LESS of the completed build cost. That makes the core a good deal at $400.

The first thing I ask if they willing to negotiate the price, if not, I go somewhere else. If I find the deal is worth the asking price, I offer 80% and go from there. Here are a few motors up for sale in my area.
(Update) Old Mopar engines & transmissions for parts or rebuild - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale -...

mopar engine360.jpg

Timing, when you want one...400... when you don't need one 50-200...
Both at cheaper prices I got during the pandemic...
(Side note, gettin the latest shot this Wednesday...)

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I’ve been sent a bunch of pictures should anyone want to see them. In all honesty, I’ve was looking for a small port LA 318 as it would better match the intake I have.

The first thing I ask if they willing to negotiate the price, if not, I go somewhere else. If I find the deal is worth the asking price, I offer 80% and go from there. Here are a few motors up for sale in my area.
(Update) Old Mopar engines & transmissions for parts or rebuild - auto parts - by owner - vehicle automotive sale -...

View attachment 1716145776

Please don’t bother calling me. You will get hung up on. If it’s a deal it’s a deal why try to rob the guy.

Timing, when you want one...400... when you don't need one 50-200...
Both at cheaper prices I got during the pandemic...
(Side note, gettin the latest shot this Wednesday...)
When I was buying/collecting, I didn't pass on a good deal knowing this stuff was going to go up....someday......but after awhile, I got to where I ran out of room......unless it was for free and then I made room lol. And no for me on any of the shots.

Thanks for all the comments thus far. I’ve been sent a bunch of pictures should anyone want to see them. In all honesty, I’ve was looking for a small port LA 318 as it would better match the intake I have.
Well, a small intake on bigger heads isn't all that bad.....it's a lot better than having a bigger port intake that's on small port heads, I can tell ya that. Then maybe later on a larger port intake will show up but like I said, a smaller port intake won't hurt much if any....

-
Back