What’s this part?

-

Greg D.

Reaction score
EF929F0F-0CAE-406F-9939-848A8466EBDA.jpeg
Greetings! I’ve had my 64 dart for about a year now. Its a fun little car. Made a number of improvements from when I got it. Today I was doing a spit wash of the engine and engine bay with gunk and purple power. And I think I found my oil leak.

But before I post that thread... what is the name of this part that is located where the engine meets the transmission?

Thanks!

Greg

Thank you very much. One last question... see that gap, where you can see the transmission gear? Is that expected?

That gap is fine. I've seen people run without an inspection cover at all...Wait, what...I still need one!!!:eek:

66fyssh: are you saying I don’t need it? Because mine is bent as hell. I think this is the source of my leaks.

2CDC452E-9D6D-40F1-9D16-53E47BD09319.jpeg

49B9CE7C-6D4A-4578-96D7-40F1427ADC27.jpeg

3366847C-34BC-4112-98AA-45AD6A22DE52.jpeg

C26B32C8-52F0-41F4-9AAF-E7EF03C6BBA9.jpeg

That doesn't seal anything. Its a cover you can remove to inspect flex plate.
As mentioned above your leak is probably a rear main seal on the engine. Goes bbetween oil pan and crankshaft

No, you definitely want it there. It helps keep rocks and other unwanted stuff away from your flywheel. I keep forgetting to look around to find one that's reasonable. The inspection cover won't cause an oil leak. And yours is actually in pretty good shape.

I would go with @72Dart6pack that its probably the rear main seal...or it could be the oil pan gasket.

I had a leak on the backside of my 273 that drove me crazy. Without the inspection cover I could see it wasn't coming from the rear mail seal, but I changed the oil pan gasket 3 times and it still leaked. Then I took my time, made sure the pan rails were straight, and used just the right amount of permatex on the corners of the gaskets and...finally got it!!

red is trans fluid, black is oil. Most every leak in the back (main seal, cam plug, etc) will come dripping off that shield as its where its flung off the flex plate or blown back to. you can take it off and straighten it with a hammer and a piece of wood.

Don't forget green! While down there trying to find an oil leak, I saw a drop of green. Dang it!

Pulled the transmission and replaced the freeze plugs in the back of the block.

Its enough of a leak to be a problem. I have a piece of plywood beneath it in my garage... and I am not allowed to park in the driveway.

I really appreciate your expert advice. I will do some research on this site on replacing the main seal.

Much appreciated!

Look at top rear of engine, could be leaks up there too.

Reason i mentioned it, first place i always look.

-
Back