What actuates the reverse lights?

-

Valiant-68

Reaction score
I have a 1968 Plymouth Valiant 318 automatic. I need help with my reverse lights. The switch at the bottom of the column is working but there is nothing on the shaft to actuate it. Could someone send me a picture of whats suppose to be there or explain what is suppose to be there? Thanks

There is a a switch on the transmission with 3 prongs, check to see if the wiring plug is connected to it.

68 switch is on the column at the base. Not sure how it is triggered but assume some sort of pin off the column mechanism.

upload_2018-5-5_18-5-17.png

Unless they changed things between 67 dart and 68 valiant. There is a arm attached to the tube that rotates when you move the selector. If you replace the switch there is a hole in the switch, move the switch to the propper location and insert a small rod to keep the switch in that position. After you mount the switch with the selector in park you can remove the small rod and the switch will be on the correct side of the metal arm.

Go to mymopar.com for a free service manual if you haven't already

View attachment 1715172521

Unless they changed things between 67 dart and 68 valiant. There is a arm attached to the tube that rotates when you move the selector. If you replace the switch there is a hole in the switch, move the switch to the propper location and insert a small rod to keep the switch in that position. After you mount the switch with the selector in park you can remove the small rod and the switch will be on the correct side of the metal arm.

Go to mymopar.com for a free service manual if you haven't already
Thank you. That was what l was looking for.

I found an NOS plastic operating lever and it was so stiff, I couldn’t press the center pin in it to lock into place. It snapped out of my hand and fell right into the open hole of the column shaft cover...DOH!!!!

I will probably change the neutral safety switch on the transmission to the later one that has the reverse light contacts in it.

You need to have the right rostertail in the trans for it to work there are a few different ones trust me found out the hard way.

There is a a switch on the transmission with 3 prongs, check to see if the wiring plug is connected to it.

I think the three pin transmission switch was first used in 1969. That year the reverse light switch was moved from the base of the column to the transmission on automatics.

-
Back