What are my spark plugs saying?

-

AlV

Crabs in a barrel
Reaction score
Hey Fabo,
I have 1500 miles on these plugs. They are from cylinders 1 & 2 of my 340. For the record I have an MSD and a Holley SA 670

What do you think?

IMG_2219.PNG

IMG_2220.PNG

IMG_2221.PNG

IMG_2222.PNG

Either the plug is one range too hot and/or you've got a bit too much timing in it.

To see exactly what's happening you need to cut the shell off so we can see the base of the plug.

Is that an NGK?

I can hear your plugs now. They are whispering to me...

"6-71 supercharger".

Well. You heard em.

I can hear them too, they are saying "nobody can tell **** about us because of ethanol fuel".

If you experts even THINK you can read those plugs, you're sadly mistaken.

Friggin truth is I don't know how to read these plugs....to TripRs - point because Ethanol fuel which is why I was looking for a sanity check LoL.. I may have a tad too much timing but who knows I'm at 20 initial 35 total.

Last edited:
How do you like the SA 670 carb?
At first I was not happy with the flat spot.. I had a big bog/hesitation getting on it off idle from a stand or while rolling. But then I adjusted the fuel mixture screws out 2 turns, then bumped primary fuel level up a tad and put the silver spring (switch from the Yellow) in the vac secondary and moved my accelerator pump cam to the 1 position. Now all is well :)

Either the plug is one range too hot and/or you've got a bit too much timing in it.

To see exactly what's happening you need to cut the shell off so we can see the base of the plug.

Is that an NGK?
Autolites

What engine, compression and what number of Autolites? They look pretty good and as long as it doesn't ping or kick back against the starter who cares. It will run cleaner with a heat range hotter especially if you use ethanol.

What engine, compression and what number of Autolites? They look pretty good and as long as it doesn't ping or kick back against the starter who cares. It will run cleaner with a heat range hotter especially if you use ethanol.
Compression is 9.5 and plugs are AP65. Occasionally it will run on slightly when turned off. I have trouble hearing the engine when driving because the exhaust is pretty loud in the cabin. But I don't notice pinging when idling or when I bump the throttle under the hood.

Last edited:
I can hear them too, they are saying "nobody can tell **** about us because of ethanol fuel".

If you experts even THINK you can read those plugs, you're sadly mistaken.

Why not? You can read plugs on alcohol. That's an old wives tale. There is enough in the picture to see timing. If it's a black she'll autolite you can't see the heat in the shell.

Looks pretty good at a cruise, but after that, you need to take the shell off.

-
Back