What are the first parts to buy for an engine rebuild?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Just wondering where to start? Bearings? Heads??? Oil pump... Urgh... This is going to get ugly!

Thanks!

I usually start by buying a cam thats way too big. Then I have to build the rest of the motor around the cam...(humour)

First things first, take it to a shop and have the block and heads hot tanked and maged out, then see if it needs to be just honed or over bored to clean up the cylinders, after that you will know what size pistons/rings/bearings you need to order with your kit THEN you decide what cam you want and that will determan what you will be doing to the heads.

If you are just doing a quick and cheap rebuild, hone it yourself, order the stock size pistons if you can't reuse yours either way new rings and bearings, maybe have your crank polished and then just a standard rebuild kit (any kit should come with an oil pump) and I would say a 340ish cam.

Yea I agree before i bought anything i had everything checked out to make sure it was all ok and usable.

I've posted this before, but here it is again. It's kinda' like what George posted above. This is the perfect way to buy parts.

Many years ago, my Mopar friend Morris worked at a Pizza Hut with a guy who had about a 1970 Nova with a small block. I can't remember his name, so I'll call him "Bob".

One day Bob, who knew nothing about cars, comes in to see Morris at work. "Look at what I bought!" he says & shows Morris a used tunnel ram setup (I think it was a dual quad) that he had bought at the local speed shop.

Morris asks him what he's going to do with it & he says "I'm gonna' put it on my Nova." He then said something about girls goin' for guys with "hot cars" with carbs poking through the hood. Then Morris asks him "What kind of cam are you going to use?"

"Cam?" says Bob, "What's that?"

Morris tells him "You go home & put that on your car & try it out & then come back & we'll talk about what kind of cam you need to run."

Well, they talk it over & one thing leads to another & they decide to pull the motor & rebuild it, since they're gonna' change the cam anyway. Then they have to cut the hood for the manifold to stick through it. Well, now Bob needs a hood scoop, so they put one on. That looks like crap with the scoop a different color than the car, so they decide to repaint the car. After it's painted, Bob drives it for a while & decides he can't live with a tunnel ram. Too big of a PITA to drive on the street, so he pulls it & switches to a performance single four bbl carb & manifold. So now he has a car with new paint, rebuilt motor, & hood scoop, all because of a manifold he's taken off of the car. I don't know if he ever got any girls.

There's no moral here, I just like telling that story.

First parts should be pistons. Last part pushrods. That about does it... :D

-
Back