What are these bolts called? Steering column under the hood.

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
Good morning.
Can some tell me what these bolts are called they are on steering column under the hood?
Thank you

PXL_20240216_181110678.jpg

Back when I worked at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant building Dodge trucks we called that the rag joint and those were the rag joint bolts. I can't really tell from the picture but that does look like one of the old Dodge Trucks.

Back when I worked at the Warren Truck Assembly Plant building Dodge trucks we called that the rag joint and those were the rag joint bolts. I can't really tell from the picture but that does look like one of the old Dodge Trucks.
Yeah 81 Ramcharger. I couldn't remember if I removed similar bolts when I took my Barracuda apart. Were they used universally on dodges back then?

What are you working on that uses a rag joint? That's a GM thing.

Back then Dodge Ramchargers, Plymouth Traildusters, and all size Dodge Trucks were all built on the same lines and yes that part was called a rag joint. All of them used the same part along with the same bolts.

I posted the same question on Ramcharger Central. I was thinking I had somehow forgotten this when I was disassembling the Barracuda. But I guess it was only a truck thing.
Oh, and Junkyard hero. Great idea, I'll incorporate that into my next set of wrenches! :lol:

Don't forget to calibrate yearly.
I posted the same question on Ramcharger Central. I was thinking I had somehow forgotten this when I was disassembling the Barracuda. But I guess it was only a truck thing.
Oh, and Junkyard hero. Great idea, I'll incorporate that into my next set of wrenches! :lol:

The red areas sandwich the rag joint between the steering column part and the steering gear part.

The green area is an extension of two of the bolt that makes a fail safe if the rag comes apart.

According to rockauto... 81 ramcharger uses a slip joint like the cars do. Might not be stock?
Screenshot_20240216-171206.png

70 Ford Mustang and F250 pickup

Basic same idea

Screenshot_20240216-171715.png

Screenshot_20240216-171622.png

Last edited:
Chrysler used Saginaw columns through the late 70's & into the 80's In passenger cars they were used if the car was optioned with tilt.... In the trucks it was sort of random... All the tilts but some of the standard columns to...

Everything in and on the trucks was kind of random, I remember when we would run out of certain things we would use whatever we had to keep that line running. Sometimes it was an upgrade and sometimes it was not. I was at the truck plant for 35 years and I spent 1 year at Viper and prowler which was pretty cool because every day I played with toys, they were someone else's toys but I got to play with them first.

Chrysler used Saginaw columns through the late 70's & into the 80's In passenger cars they were used if the car was optioned with tilt.... In the trucks it was sort of random... All the tilts but some of the standard columns to...
Hmm interesting. My RC does have tilt.

I have a 85 1/2 ton with tilt and it uses the same joint.

here's a shot from a 80 D200 quad cab from today:
r6u06cll.jpg

(i swear i didn't make a trip to the junkyard just to get this shot)

Don't know abut A body, but B body cars got that same joint/coupling starting in 1974.

You can get that part in the "Help" section at most auto stores. Same as ford.

-
Back