What cam brand is being used?

-

Steven190

Reaction score
Really not looking for any specs, just cam brand names that is being used.

We are building a 408 from a 360, aluminum heads, RPM manifold with EFI. I have used many different brands of cams in the past, I am using a Lunati mechanical roller in my Dart now.

My curiously is that I have used Crane, Racer Brown, Comp Cams, and Mopar.
Looking for cams and not really decided on what I want, I guess too many choices to chose from. Kinda leaning towards a Hydraulic roller cam.

No matter who you get it from its likely just going to be a stick of cast iron. Myshelf I usually have a conversation with Ken at Oregon cam grinding and we just grind whatever we decide. There's no set duration or separation or lift that you have to go with when you go to a custom cam grinder. make up your own numbers and your own custom cam like I did "one off" you can do exactly what you want. My-2

Getting the right cam for your build is more important than the brand. CR, gear ratio, converter stall, etc needs to be considered. 65'

Yup - I don't use MP stuff anymore due to production issues I started seeing (read that as they were ground like **** and I was having to move them all over to get where they should have been in terms of installed center line). Otherwise I've used pretty much all but Oregon with favorites being Comp, Crane, and Engle. I wouldn't use a hydraulic roller. Either step up and do a solid roller with lifter bushings, or stay with a flat tappet would be my advise.

I've used 2 Hughes hydraulic roller cams. Haven't had any issues from them yet.

I've used 3 different Lunati cams happy with the performance of all 3..next build when we get around to it is getting a Howards .680 lift solid roller:D:D

I used all cast iron camshafts and I've never had a problem...
You do know Hughes (and likely others) don't grind there Cam's in house. They come from a cam grinder. And when you walk in to a cam grinders shop and see cams bigger than you? Shopping carts full here and there...
Anyways I have a conversation with a nice cool old-timer (who dragraces himself) in the middle of all this cam extravaganza and he helps pick a cam (ACCORDINGLY).
Originally I had a used purple proformance cam I inherited with the 318 that my duster came with when I bought it. I blew that motor up and took that Cam and had it ground into an Extreme Performance grind. It did exactly as we expected and I wanted. Then that same cam I had regound again and had Ken grind it and do a streetable cam for my Stroker. And I'm very happy with that. 2-more....

Dart19666 works for Crower cams and has a 750 hp 408, talk to him, he can tell you what you need

-
Back