What can you get for $2500?

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out the cars for sale on here, moparts, crags list etc... and seem to be striking out or just flat out missing stuff...or its just out of my $2500 max investment.

so my question is what can I get out there that is running and driving for $2500?

I'm partial to Dart Sports, Dusters, Demons... I am figuring it would be a slant 6 which is cool. The big thing would be that it is running and driving...

If anyone knows of any hidden gems let me know.

I got my 72 dart 318/904 with a 7 1/4 rearend running with the interior completly redone with typical rust in the lower part of the corner panels for 2k but I have noticed it really depends on where you live or willing to buy the car at. being land locked here in colorado I paid more then what they have up in like washington state and even phoneix. also I looked for mine for a good year and a half before I pulled the trigger. good luck.

How far are you willing to travel?

Honestly - as much as I love my Dart, and I love Mopars.. $2500 will get you "in the door" with something that either needs a fair amount of work, or will be very basic... and from there, expect to spend some decent money to get it where you want it. I bought my wife a '66 Mustang a year ago or so, and I was able to completely re-do the interior (new dash pad, seat covers, carpet, door panels, added headrests, all new interior chrome trim, .. all for about $500. There is virtually NO aftermarket support for Mopars.. there is a TON for Chevy/Ford. an example - expect to spend $250 for a pair of door panels for a Dart.. you can get a pair of new door panels for a '66 Mustang for $60 .. that's just one of many examples.

Again - I'm not trying to disrespect Mopar.. I love our cars.. but if you're on a budget - Mopar is NOT the way to go.

I have (2) Demon's I am building now.... basically I'm looking for something to just tool around in as a driver while my other (2) cars are being finished.... So yes I am quite aware of what cars are costing to get where you want them....

But I am still looking for a basic plan jane slant 6 or 318 that is running and driving that I can tool around in over the summer.... Im kicking myself for parting out my 318 4 door dart 2 years ago, but it did pay for a lot of new AMD sheet metal, LOL....

Stroker Scamp.... I have a trailer and some free weekends so for the right ride in my price range I'd go as far as 6-8hrs from Pittsburgh, PA... so that does carry a large range, closer would be better... but Im open to see whats out there.

a friend of mine has a 72 duster that is black. has a mild 318 with a 4 speed o.c with rallys, sport mirrors he drives it everyday. he does want 2500.00 for it. pm me for his number.

i bought the drivetrain from a member on here all the way up in nj, and put it in the car. used to be my car. ill try to find some pics

and, it is like 6.5 hours from you

I paid 2K for my 67 Dart GT with a 7 1/4 Rear, 904 and a Blown 6cyl with a hole in the block the size of a 6 Pack of beer! Very Clean, No Rust. All there.

Paided 2k for this. Took a test drive before I bought it and it ran like a raped ape. Brought it home drove it a mile up the road to get gas and fired it up to pull out got on the road and had a nice knock and a 5mph ride home spilled it guts (antifreeze) all over the driveway and ceased to run and am now rebuilding the engine. And finding corners the guy cut though oh well. It worth three times what I paided for it in parts though.

Attachments

• Dart Swinger 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Dart Swinger.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 337
Took me two days to find mine and a day to get it home, and I drove it.
73 Dart Swinger, original red with a white top, new rebuilt 318, 904, Limo tinted side and rear windows, new tires, ball joints, tie rod ends, ujoints, discs and pads, new rear shoes, and all new ignition stuff with extras of almost everything like regulator, ECU, cap, plugs, wires, ballast resistor.
I put the tires and wheels on.

Attachments

• ChromeOffNolettering.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 352
There was a Duster 318/904 on craigs in like Idaho for $600 a while ago. Use craigslist reader pro and scan USA, lots of deals, but be willing to travel...

If your shopping on Mopar sites and ebay $2500 will get you rust and missing parts. Look else were.

I got my Dart off Craigslist. $900 it ran, interior was all there, needed quite a bit of body work, which I'm happily doing right now. These cars are 40 years old. Don't be afraid of the rust, or afraid to do your own work, it saves serious coin.

hey guys im new to this forum, i bought my 67 barracuda slant six running and complete no rust california car and with clean title for $1,900 :D

ahhhhhh, come on guys lol
just trying to decide wheter to fix up a 318 that came with the car or beef up the slant six. any opinions?

i got this for 3000, a little high , but this car is 99% rust free, original paint and i drove it home.
the wing and scoop wasnt on it
Craigslist find

Attachments

• d39.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 303
I think he means the price was a little high, Not the *** end, LOL I paid 4K for my 73 Duster, Solid CA car. No rust anywere. Much better deal then the $2200 rusty turd I bought last year.

-
Back