What carb do I need to get?

-

MvJackson

72duster
Reaction score
I'm putting a 4 bbl carb on my slant six.
I've been looking and I am leaning towards a Holley just which model would be the best application for street usage.

I am buying an offenhauser intake this weekend.
Already have headers and exhaust system. Can't figure out which model would be best.

390cfm or 600cfm
Any other options to please.

Any tips or Tricks are appreciated as well

I would go with something close to what the factory did. Maybe an Edelbrock 500 AVS. A 390 is not much more......if any than a super six two barrel. A 600 will work, but is a little big. The AVS is a very forgiving carburetor and will only flow what the engine needs.

A 390 is not much more......if any than a super six two barrel. A 600 will work, but is a little big.

How so? From my understanding, my holley 350 2v is bigger than a super six carb (I've heard a BBD flows 280, dunno if that's the slant or 318 one though) but that's all on a different scale than the 4v, (3"hg vs 1.5"hg). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would make a 350 flow ~240-250, bigger than the BBD but still smaller than the 390 by a bit. I've always heard the 390, 450 and 500 edel were good matches for a mild slant, and that a 600 was for 1hp/CI and more, plus you'd get ~10mpg as well...

How so? From my understanding, my holley 350 2v is bigger than a super six carb (I've heard a BBD flows 280, dunno if that's the slant or 318 one though) but that's all on a different scale than the 4v, (3"hg vs 1.5"hg). Correct me if I'm wrong, but that would make a 350 flow ~240-250, bigger than the BBD but still smaller than the 390 by a bit. I've always heard the 390, 450 and 500 edel were good matches for a mild slant, and that a 600 was for 1hp/CI and more, plus you'd get ~10mpg as well...

I gave my opinion. I don't like the Holley on the slant six. Neither did Chrysler, apparently. As I said, the AVS is a far better carburetor for a smaller engine. It is much like a thremoquad in operation. I think he would be much happier with most any reasonably sized Edelbrock....even an AFB style than the Holley. Look how tiny the venturi area is on the 390. As far as I'm concerned, it's a waste of a carburetor. I wouldn't run one on anything.

As I said, it's my opinion. I have run a few 390s and they always run out of steam very early. Even had one on a mild Pinto 2300 and it sucked. To the OP, run what you want. You asked opinions and I gave mine. I didn't give it to get into an argument, I just gave it.

Thanks. I want to run the best possible option for my car. I don't want it running down to 10 mpg. I drive it a lot and want to get the most power without losing to much fuel economy.

that's my goal with the car. If that helps.

-
Back