What distributors are you 440 guys running with a stock hood clearance?

-

Muswagon

Reaction score
Curious what you guys are running for distributors?

My hood clears with a drop base air cleaner, but from what i am reading some distributors out there are too tall?

I currently have a pertronix, has the ignition module in it and running a regular coil

My issue is the fit, you have to grind on the head to make it clear and even then its tight, and a very limited travel for timing

Just not happy with the setup.

I do not want to run any of the stock stuff so only interested in options that clear better and bypass the stock igniton

We run exclusively MSD Stuff.
It is not as good as 20 years ago but
still as good as you will find anymore now
that everything is made offshore! No mod required
on their Billet Dist. I do not use the ready to run stand
alone.

Running an ancient cast iron tach drive electronic Direct Connection kit. over-the-counter distributor with an equally ancient Mallory box and coil.
The A12 is running a D.C. electronic distributor kit with an original 20 year old orange box. The prestolite dual point is on the shelf, waiting to go back in if necessary.

When I first read this I thought I had no clearance problem with a 440 Distributor and now a Hemi, Gen 2, with MSD distributor, but then I have an Ebody. The only problem with a Hemi in any car is that if you drop anything good luck trying to find it. Trying to work on it is another hassle except changing plugs.

I've got a Pro Billet. My hood has a hole in it for my air cleaner, but the dizzy fits under the stock part of the hood just fine.

I just run a stock Mopar Electronic distributor that’s controlled by a MSD 6AL Digital. You can buy the distributor new from Mancini’s for $170.

There are so many options out there first what are you desiring to achieve and second points or electronic? And last price range.

Last edited:
For a street car I'd find a factory unit in good shape, add a limiter plate and advance springs, and put a new ignition module in it. Anything more than that and you're paying for bling.

For a street car I'd find a factory unit in good shape, add a limiter plate and advance springs, and put a new ignition module in it. Anything more than that and you're paying for bling.
I have a friend that ran 9.20's @ 150 mph in the 1/4 mile with a factory style unit.

It is all about have a curve designed to your engine, can be stock mopar or a 5K system no real difference unless you need that 1/10 of a second.

It is all about have a curve designed to your engine, can be stock mopar or a 5K system no real difference unless you need that 1/10 of a second.
X2 on halifaxhops, he did a RB distributor for me and it was spot on, worked great.
And the price was very reasonable.

-
Back