What do yall do with your charcoal cans?

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score
I am about to install my radiator and 73 style overflow, and I am going to HAVE to move the charcoal can to make the overflow work...

This is a performance daily driver build, and I know the board guru hardasses are all about retaining the can.

So you want someone other than the forum guru hardasses to tell you to throw it in the ditch? Basically tell you what you want to hear.

Also, calling people names is a good way to NOT get advice.

If anyone has pictures of their charcoal can relocation, or a good alternative. please post them.

Last edited:
Most people who ask for help are at least polite about it before they get snarky. You can do whatever you want to with your canister. You already seem to know what the hardass gurus will say.

Has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's called respect and manners. I am the biggest joker you'll ever meet, but when I need help, the first thing I don't do is start dishing out insults. Thank you drive through.

Here in communist md we dont have to have inspections on antique cars. Therefore i got rid of the cans on mine. PC? Nope. But did it just the same.

I have read a bit of back and forth on here about improving fuel economy by keeping them.

Obviously I would love to simplify things and get rid of something if it is not really needed, but if there is a benefit of economy... I will absolutely keep it.

I cant speak to economy. And I'm sure what i did was illegal in some way shape or form, But the doggone car (80lebaron) had three of the canisters under the hood. After i ditched the thermoquad and de-leanburned it there wasnt much left to plug in to them. I know this isnt a great help regarding your original question, but i did ditch the cans. Dunno if I'm a hardass or not (maybe in my Marine days... ) Lol.

lol.

well I have been feeling like keeping the can, after reading through the forum posts from posters I respect their opinions. but I do know all of the ASE techs I work around are telling me to ditch it.

Either way, whether I ditch it later or keep it, I am curious to see if anyone has ran into the issue of having to move it, especially due to running a radiator overflow in a nonoverflow car.. and how they have resolved that issue. (specifically location)

Lord... 1973 setup.. sincerely, a guru hardass.
7712776-MoparsInMay13Sm054.JPG

Last edited:
They are ugly and one of the first intrusions of the EPA disease.

Can the can. Listen to Suzi Quatro.

Suzi Quatro - Can The Can (1973):

They found their way into the recycle bind....or trash can..

I miss the red-purple stains around the carburetor vents that testified to use of premium gasoline, and I miss having the dye in the gas so that I know it's higher octane.

Most people who ask for help are at least polite about it before they get snarky. You can do whatever you want to with your canister. You already seem to know what the hardass gurus will say.

Has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's called respect and manners. I am the biggest joker you'll ever meet, but when I need help, the first thing I don't do is start dishing out insults. Thank you drive through.

LOL!!! Old Rusty Getting all over someone for being a bit mouthy? WOW! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black :rofl::bs_flag::wtf:

this radiator fit very well in my '74 Duster, and allowed me to keep the original overflow and charcoal can in the factory spots. Not to mention it cools extremely well without a shroud. CC526 from koolradiatorscoolingsystem. 200 bucks to my front door. 3 core....

s-l300.jpg

Ok, I'M no guru, so I can jump in, and I don't care what you call me. Besides,I took your intro a lil different. I think you knew I'd chime in sooner or later. So here it comes.
Keep it if; 1) you care about the environment, or 2) you care about a dollar or two saved per tankful, or 3)you are required to by law.
Ditch it if; 1) you don't, or aren't, or can't make it work.
The underhood shot shows how it can be made to work.
If you have an old style bulbous-top rad, you don't need an overflow/recovery system; just let the cooling system find it's own equilibrium point.Or run it an inch or so below the bottom of the filler hole. And leave the canister where it is.
But if you really WANT to move it, it can go anywhere except inside the car, or trunk.Unless you put it in a sealed box with a generous atmospheric vent to the exterior of whatever compartment that you put it in.If the carb bowl is vented to it, it is not likely to be effective if the can is mounted any lower than it is now. In such cases the air filter house can be modified to become a storage house for the bowl.In Tennessee, I heard it gets pretty hot out there. Storing the vapors in the filter house might not be such a good idea.
All in all I think it would be much easier to put the recovery tank somewhere else. I mean it can go anywhere.... en-ee-ware.
Like; in front of the core support, or in a fenderwell or,on the apron, or well you get it; pick a spot.
And it (the tank) doesn't even have to look like a tank, and it only needs to hold 2 or 3 pints at most. It could be a bag,a box or a tube, or a heater core. Well that last one would take a little imagination.

Last edited:
I have that same radiator, 318. lol. I am not sure why rusty of all folks was set off from actually innocent adjectives. I am glad to see there is enough room in the corner. I am planning on running cold air ducting through the grill, so i will still need to move the can. But after reading through slant6's post I am fairly certain I will keep it. Now I just need to rebuild or replace my can.

Thanks again

Here in communist md we dont have to have inspections on antique cars. Therefore i got rid of the cans on mine. PC? Nope. But did it just the same.

If anyone ever gives me a hard time about emissions, I have a lecture already prepared. My use of old Mopars has probably prevented the need for about 5 new vehicles with all the energy costs and emissions from primary and scrap steel melting. Then too, MY engines are designed to do their best to burn ALL the fuel in the cylinder, where it will actually be of use in moving the car. EGR, low compression, and retarded cam positions leave a whole lot of fuel behind, a whole lot of wasted fuel used just to make the catalytic get hot and cause fires under a car. Heat energy should be translated into MOTION!
The EPA has never showed any data why oxides of Nitrogen are so harmful they must be suppressed.
High cylinder temperatures are GOOD!
EPA has not yet passed any laws which have deterred thunderstorms from creating lightning, a large contributor to NO in the atmosphere, nor have they passed laws against chlorophyll, plants also contribute a major of NO in the atmosphere.
Run lean, tune well, and be happy.

If you don't have to pass an inspection for emissions equipment, and you are putting a coolant recovery system on it, toss toss the can. Chnaces are it is no longer functional anyway. The charcoal was not intended to continue to work or last 40+ years.

Throw it in the trash along with stock intake,stock exhaust,thermo bog carbs..ect ect..

-
Back