What do you think of the Hot Rod reality shows?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
First, American Hot Rod. Boyd appears to be a clueless manager who never gets his hands dirty and Dwayne is real prick. They set unrealistic deadlines and abuse their employees hence their turnover rate. But, when I watch closely, I can pick up some sheet metal tricks. Second, Wrecks to Riches. The owner is unimaginitive and just looking to make a quick buck, can't wait till one of his cars don't sell. No good technical info whatsoever. Third, Overhaulin'. The pranks are stupid, but I have a tremendous respect for Chip Foose even though I'm not big in to the oversize wheel thing. Picked up quite a few tips, even used one to form a floor pan patch for my truck (the '32 Ford old school hot rod episode where he used the garage support pole to form a hood).Fourth, Pinks! I kinda like this one. Reminds me street racing back when I used to live in the North Side of Chicago twenty years ago, except it was always head-to-head. They need less comercials and more content. Maybe a new host who knows something about cars. They should be using lights and I want to see times. Last, OCC. Paully Jr. is a brat. They never build thier own engines. If I had all thier tools in that big shop, I could build a space shuttle. I've been riding and racing motorcycles for 28 years and was pro motorcyle mechanic for ten of those years. I always built a bike for a specific purpose, then consulted with the customer regarding looks. Not big into the gaudy theme bike thing. Napa asken them to build a drag bike and they had not a clue and had to call in a "consultant". I wonder what would happen if a customer wanted them to build a bike that would stop and handle? OK, I'm done rambling, just bought a new blend of coffee beans and it's workin' great!! :drinkers: Off to the garage now, lot's of work to do.

American Hot Rod - Boyd is clueless and Dwayne needs to get off his high horse. Personally i'm glad Charlie (painter) went to work for Chip Foose. :thumblef: Maybe boyd learned something. Though I doubt it.
Wrecks to Riches - is a joke. Ever notice they never build anything but a full frame GM car? Let's see em do a unibody in that time frame.
Overhaulin - What else can I say it's Chip Foose. He "designs" some nice cars, but i wish he'd stay away from the silver n black paint.
Pinks - I like too..Agree not enough content.
OCC - A glorified assembly shop. Besides, fabricating the gas tanks, handlebars, fenders and a few nameplates what do they really do? I think Paulie should be working for Vinny!!

Eric_S68 said:
American Hot Rod - Boyd is clueless and Dwayne needs to get off his high horse. Personally i'm glad Charlie (painter) went to work for Chip Foose. :thumblef: Maybe boyd learned something. Though I doubt it.
Wrecks to Riches - is a joke. Ever notice they never build anything but a full frame GM car? Let's see em do a unibody in that time frame.
Overhaulin - What else can I say it's Chip Foose. He "designs" some nice cars, but i wish he'd stay away from the silver n black paint.
Pinks - I like too..Agree not enough content.
OCC - A glorified assembly shop. Besides, fabricating the gas tanks, handlebars, fenders and a few nameplates what do they really do? I think Paulie should be working for Vinny!!

wow i got to agree about 100% with this one,

pinks doesnt have enought content, to many comercials thats bs
occ vinny does all the work, jr just wines, sr its just angry and does nothing, miky is kinda funny though, he takes out the trash, how hard is that and he still cant haha, i havnt watched occ forever though they repeat WAY too much.

how about horse power tv, besides there over welming budgets, you can learn some info from it, what happened to...i forget his name the other older guy, he just kinda stoped being on the show, unless i missed an episode where they explained what happened. trucks is pretty lame now, with the 2 new guys its pretty sad :cwm10: stacy was awesome, these guys are nuckle heads.

extreme 4x4, its a pretty good show, sure i mainly watch cause of jessy, but o well haha, i'm not a huge 4x4 fan but its still pretty good.

how about muscle car, sure, (wow bad day cant remember anybodies names) the one darker skin looking dude(sorry if he is not, and not to offend anyone) he seems like he doesnt know much, but the other guy knows his stuff, i'm not a fan of them ripping up a challenger no matter what condition its in but o well i still watch it.

i normally always watch spikes power block no matter what, o well. haha any more input and sorry about the spelling :silent: :thumblef:

1966 dart wagon said:
stacy was awesome

Can you imaging Stacy doing old A bodies? I miss him - he's on early sometimes, but only seem to be reruns.

American Hot Rod lost one of their best guys not long ago, I think his name was Charlie?( the sheet metal guy, very talented). Wrecks to Riches- At least the guy does throw down on the HP and keeps the vintage vibe going on. Pinks- What can you say, you`re racing for your title and there`s no X-mas tree or times?Pahleeez! The woolly mammoth was a hoot though.Overhaulin- Is it any wonder that Chip worked for Boyd? Most all the cars look like Boyd cars with 2 tone paint. The cars are many times kept for months to use as promos and the taxes people have to pay are so much that they can`t afford to keep the cars. I understand the college girl with the STARS on her 4 X 4 had to sell. Chip is a talented guy though and has a huge heart, you can`t help but like and respect him! I like American Muscle Car, but it is too short and over advertised. I am happy to see more programming like these shows, when there once was very little or none. I`m with Dart Wagon on Extreme 4 x 4 , Jessy can rebuild my transfer case any time!

American Hot Rod - i dont know what to say about this one. how can a professionaly shop operate that way and not always be in the red.

I dont like overhaulin'. they do build some really nice cars. you've got to hand it to chip foose, but i think his designs are begining to wear a little thin. seems like the same thing over and over again on every show. if i hear him talk about stance one more time i'm going to video tape myselve diving headfirst into the TV.

I dont like any of the 4x4 shows anymore. how many times can you lift something and put big tires on it. I used to have a major draw to the 4x4 scene until i noticed 90% of the people into it are assholes. Last time i went to the Bloomsburg 4x4 jamboree it was almost 30$ to get just to have people give you the evil eye for looking at their truck or even trying to talk to someone about it.

I cant really say i think any of the reality TV shows are really reality. you can put those kinds of deadlines on a build so intense. no realy shop can. as for pinks, that's as close to real life as it gets...minimal content.

"Wrecks to Riches - is a joke. Ever notice they never build anything but a full frame GM car? Let's see em do a unibody in that time frame."

hey longone they have built a mopar. they built a gtx clone not too long ago. they also built a car that didn't make their reserve, and they took it home with them...... hey like these shows or not, they do give us some mid- week fun to tide us over till the weekend comes.

Hi Demon, that was Erics quote, but I did see that episode with the (Roadalite GTX )/Keith Black cracked block. Must be nice to HAVE to settle for a crate Hemi! LOL! I don`t have 13K burning a hole in my pocket, but I`m sure my 68 Cuda would gladly welcome one. Anyhow, like everyone seems to agree, it`s that or American Idol!

I was in the states in november last year & saw pinks a couple of times & loved it but most of the hotels we stayed at did not have the speed channel so I didn't see it as much as I'd have liked,its a show i wish they would run over here.
We don't get overhaulin here either but I brought the first season on dvd,I liked it but could not get into some of the cars & the pranks do get old.I thought maybe it was because I had watched 10 hours straight.
I like American hot rod to but boyd & dwayne both seem like assholes,I also think their body work is a bit ordinary & they use too much filler but the fabrication looks good,charlie seemed like a good guy & was willing to come back & do the right thing by boyd but boyd's pride got in the way.I would have left to paint a car for foose to.
Full throttle is pretty good but I've only just started watching it.Think they should give the guys more a say in what mods they do though rather than both teams doing the same thing.
Getting sick of OCC it gets repeated like 6 times a week here to & I can never find a new episode to watch.
Never seen american muscle car or wrecks to riches,but they all beat watching soapy ****.

7demon2 said:
"Wrecks to Riches - is a joke. Ever notice they never build anything but a full frame GM car? Let's see em do a unibody in that time frame."

hey longone they have built a mopar. they built a gtx clone not too long ago. they also built a car that didn't make their reserve, and they took it home with them...... hey like these shows or not, they do give us some mid- week fun to tide us over till the weekend comes.

I stand corrected. :salut:

I don't really find anything on these shows that cause me to watch. I have sat and watched Jesse James with some high school kids building something and I liked that because of the encouragement he gave them (and the tools), but that's it. I'd rather be out building my own stuff or watching a ball game (little league allt he way to the Majors) or tossing the ball with my 20yo son (he scares me now, though as he throws too hard for me to really see it).

Jim Lusk said:
I don't really find anything on these shows that cause me to watch. I have sat and watched Jesse James with some high school kids building something and I liked that because of the encouragement he gave them (and the tools), but that's it. I'd rather be out building my own stuff or watching a ball game (little league allt he way to the Majors) or tossing the ball with my 20yo son (he scares me now, though as he throws too hard for me to really see it).
Jim I couldn't agree more, but I would add I would rather chew broken glass than watch those shows.

Longgone said:
I`m with Dart Wagon on Extreme 4 x 4 , Jessy can rebuild my transfer case any time!
:mrgreen: hahah yeah i agree:thumblef:

flamindodgeute said:
Getting sick of OCC it gets repeated like 6 times a week here to & I can never find a new episode to watch.
well its the same here, they play the show twice a week, and 99% reruns i guess they make to much money, hell last time i watched it jr doesnt even do work anymore, he comes in goes ok...ok...fits the handle bars tells vinny to weld them, and he leaves :cwm10:

it sucks a show will start off all cool and with new eppisodes, then they drop you off, no more shows flood you with reruns, its annoying, about the minute the show makes money, bam reruns :cwm10:

340mopar said:
Jim I couldn't agree more, but I would add I would rather chew broken glass than watch those shows.

Hmmmmmmmm, I haven't tried the broken glass thing......................

American Hot Rod:This is the exact way 100% on how to not run a business.
You would think after all the people going throughthe place they would maybe get a hint,NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OCC:paul senoir and JR,should get a beating,or toseed out and get the real workers to get the jobs done.Jr thinks his **** does not stink and senoir does his out of control SGT.major routeen.
Pinks:Total bull **** from start to finish,you want to run,use the lights and time slips and bracket race,show a true racer.
Wrecks to riches:This guy has more money than brains,pays 7grand for a camaro shell with nothing in the dam thing.Hell,ebay sells these things complete running and rolling for less and in better shape.
The 4x4 shows are decent and do show alot of whats going on and how to do it.
The HPtv shows are better than all the above by a long shot.
Drean car garage is one of the better shows,at least the people have there feet on this earth.
Two guys garage,is on the same level,good tech and info.
I have found that very few shows want to admitt to how much some of these cars are costing to build,Boyd,well don,t talk to him unless you have 150,000$.And some of the shows showing a crate hemi going into a lowerd cuda,whats that bill.
Overhauling,I dont watch the first 10 minutes to get the bull **** out of the way and then watch the build.I like to see the regular guy getting some thing for him self,other than the silver spoon in the mouth people that don,t have a clue how its even done,just through more cash at it.
Mrmopartech

Most of these shows I watch when I need a good laugh. My wife says I have to stop though because I usually end up yelling and swearing at the TV calling most of them "brain dead morons". I got a real hate on for BOYD. :evil2:

Boyd lost two more employees on the last episode. It must be Duane! If it keeps going like this, a few more episodes and he`ll be off the air. LOL!

demon seed said:
Most of these shows I watch when I need a good laugh. My wife says I have to stop though because I usually end up yelling and swearing at the TV calling most of them "brain dead morons". I got a real hate on for BOYD. :evil2:
My wife says the same thing about me and those shows. Since the "Not So Super" Super Bowl I am not allowed to watch the NFL any more either.
I use more colorful metaphors than "brain dead morons" though.

340mopar said:
My wife says the same thing about me and those shows. Since the "Not So Super" Super Bowl I am not allowed to watch the NFL any more either.
I use more colorful metaphors than "brain dead morons" though.

Yea, I think what she's really afraid of is me throwing something at the TV.

OK, had to put my two cents in.
I have watched and (gulp) been in a few of these shows. I am not even going to sit and try and correct anyone. I know a few of these yahoo's that are currently on air. I've worked with Chip on a few of the O'haul deals and built a car for Rides. (Think hemi powered taxi). Did a season of Chop Cut Rebuild, also. I've had dealings with Duane, he is actually a pretty nice guy, he's just in a hard spot to be in for a hotrod shop manager. Oh, and the new bozo, Tony, he used to work for me, he quit my shop to go work for Boyd the day before I was going to bury him under the wash rack. Talk about karma.

But yeah, alot of it is staged, it is TV after all. Chip does get the cars done in a week, and it is a grind. But hey, how many times have we done a all night thrash to get to the track first thing in the morning? It is a pain in the south to try and build a car, be innovative, be correct, and be on time with a film crew crawling on your back. It soaks up alot of your time and resources.

The best story I can relate is when we were doing the final thrash on the Taxi project due to delays from our paint shop and the paint supplier. We were two days out from having to have the car in Vegas. The boss's youngest kid was delivering a GTO for a customer when he got sideswiped by a delivery truck. The kid ended up in the hospital, his friend died on the scene. The boss, his eldest son, and the boss's wife took out of the shop like a shot, leaving me and my two techs to finish the assembly and final details. Chip, Bud (the show's producer) and two of the camera guys from the O'haul show went to the crash scene and took very detailed pics, they then went to visit Pat (boss's crashed kid) in the hospital and offered any help that they could. Chip and Charlie both came down on that Saturday to help with some of the touch ups and clean up work. We made our deadline in spite of some serious odds.

I guess the point I am trying to make is...
Yep, the shows are pure B.S. But, the people are still the same hotrodders as you and I (well, maybe not Boyd). Ours is a small community, but it is our friends and fellow hotrodders that make it a big part of our lives. I think that it is sometimes lost on us at times, but it is what keeps me doing what I am doing and living the life that I am. I may never get rich, but I got friends through the good times and the bad. You can't buy that.

(I got to lay off the coffee.)

Revhendo,
Kevin P Henderson
Manager
D&P Classics

Kevin,
My problem with the shows is that they just aren't interesting to me. The cars do nothing for me and fake drama is a turn-off. I'd like to see a show more like the biker build-off where it isn't the same celeb every time. I haven't "finished" a car in many years due to other priorities, but every car I've built was built to drive, handle, and brake. Every car has been low budget, too (and not because I was given parts by a sponsor). I might watch a show with real-world car with real-world budgets, but then again I don't watch much TV anyway.

I watch because I love cars! I watch anything that involes the tooling of cars and maybe ill learn somthing.It's the easiest way to keep updated in the world of customizing cars. Because these guys are changing the game everyday. The only one I really admire is foose. He's legendary in the automotive world, and he's only getting bigger. Ive watch all the show for a long time, And charlie is not the only one to join fooses team. Almost all the shows have lost one person to fooses shop, from OCC to Barry White. Hey even I applied to be overhauled. call me a sucker :notworth:

Jim Lusk said:
Kevin,
My problem with the shows is that they just aren't interesting to me. The cars do nothing for me and fake drama is a turn-off. I'd like to see a show more like the biker build-off where it isn't the same celeb every time. I haven't "finished" a car in many years due to other priorities, but every car I've built was built to drive, handle, and brake. Every car has been low budget, too (and not because I was given parts by a sponsor). I might watch a show with real-world car with real-world budgets, but then again I don't watch much TV anyway.

Hey Jim, I am with you on the interest level. I don't usually have time to watch them often. I'm just saying I know these guys and that real life and reality TV are for the most part, two different things. I own both a '69 Valiant and a '73 Roadrunner and neither are show cars. Actually, neither of them are finished. (That's reality.) I think I was just trying to comment on the our car community and how it can be like an extended family. It's like having friends in a town you haven't heard of and haven't met. Yet.

Reality TV is just that. TV. It is a form of entertainment that you either like or don't. Like randomly burning Fords. Just kidding, I am sure there is a fairly nice Ford out there. Somewhere.....

Kevin

My 2 cents on the matter, yes it is un-reality TV, to me it's better then desperate housewifes My wife and girls just love that show. Kevin, that is a good story, I'm with most everyone, just tired of the drama in the shows. They need to cut that out along with the commercials. Those programs could be a great learning tool to many of us that have'nt had the oportunity to do a ground up resto. Personally, I have learned a few tricks. My favorite show used to be American Hot Rod, Charlie appeares to be a great individual and I would like to meet him. Jessy rules, she seems like a really down to earth person. Too bad for Stacy David, he was a great host, got lot's of ideas for my pick-up, he is a motivator. Well, just my opinion.

-
Back