What does a scalloped clutch look like ?

-

abodylurker

Reaction score
Ran across a thread that talked about a scalloped clutch that Mopar used in certain bellhousings of the mid 70s and since some are listed as using a 10.5 or 11" clutch, they said it was possible with a scalloped clutch. I'm guessing that to mean the pressure plate is scalloped? I've been looking for a correct bellhousing for my 74/360 Charger and the number possibilities include one of these bellhousings so I'm examining the possibilities beforehand. Anybody have any experience with the scalloped clutch and would it be a good choice for a big heavy car with a 400 horse 360 small block? Thanks for any shared thoughts or experience.:burnout:

I think you're talking about a scalloped pressure plate. The cover is formed around the bolt holes so that you can use a 1/2" larger clutch disc. The early A's can use a scalloped pressure plate and run a 10" disc where the flywheel was originally designed for a 9 1/2" disc. With a heavy car and a stout engine you should have a big clutch (10 1/2" or 11") or check on a dual disc unit that is so popular nowdays. They are spendy but they grab like crazy. Brewer Performance is a great place to go for help. http://www.brewersperformance.com/

Attachments

• clutch kit 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 554
  • clutch kit 004.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 522
THE ABOVE. My 70 V code RR used one and it was a PITA. In my case they used what is essentially a 10 1/2" bolt pattern cover with the mounting ears milled to "barely clear" an 11" disc. I've heard these called various names, from 10.9", to 10 7/8, to just 11"

Mine was a continuous PITA. If I got a disc a little "fuzzed up" from hard shifting, the outer edge of the disc would drag on the cover mounting ears and would not clean release.

If you were to take the cover pictured above and place the recommended disk in there, it would cover very very close to the bolt ears

Here's an old thread on the subject

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1969798974

I had a OEM 10.95 scalloped clutch for a big block. I ran it behind a 273 with a 340 bell housing and flywheel. That 273 would eat any clutch I tried within months, back in the day. The best clutch I ever had, except for the pressure, it took a man and a half to push the pedal down. I could power shift at 6,500 to 7,000 rpm with no problem and could take off from a start like a stock 9.5 in clutch. I still have it. You can not run an 11 inch disc with a scalloped pressure plate, it will hit as mentioned above. McLeod and Centerforce make them.

You can not run an 11 inch disc with a scalloped pressure plate, it will hit as mentioned above. McLeod and Centerforce make them.

Like I said I think this is a matter of terminology. Even Chrysler called them 11" in some of the manuals. Frankly, after diaphragm clutches began to improve, I fell out of love with BB covers.

And, I think the "Long" (Ford) design is really better. some aftermarket Long setups actually have weights you can "tune" to add or subtract centrifugal pressure.

That's some good info. I can't stand the BB type clutch, I have to have a diaphragm type. Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to get the best I could and it sounds like the 10.5 Centerforce will have to do. Thanks for the responses.

That's some good info. I can't stand the BB type clutch, I have to have a diaphragm type. Thanks for clearing that up. I wanted to get the best I could and it sounds like the 10.5 Centerforce will have to do. Thanks for the responses.

You can get 10.95 in a diaphragm clutch from either Centerforce or McLeod. 10.95 was to differentiate the 10.5 in bolt pattern 130 tooth flywheel from the 11.0 in bolt pattern 143 or 172 tooth flywheels. McLeod makes a hybrid Long style pressure plate in a B&B cover that will work with stock linkage for Mopars. You get more surface area with the 10.95 clutch. If a 10.5 will hold your engine in your car, you should be good to go.

-
Back