What does the warning mean?

-
Ok I will release a secret. In Michigan there is a form I have used several times when buying an old car with no title. I fill in the form with a VIN that is from a car 12 years old or more and a statement on how I acquired the car and Wa La I now have a title with just a VIN that I state I own. To all that disagree I have done this at least 10 times with no photo, sales reciept nothing but the VIN not even showing any proof that I even have the car. Even the girls at DMV didnt know about this when I first found the form and started doing it.

Last edited:
Lol I was there Friday night. Half of my co-workers live there. I'm in Lees Summit

I think you n' I talked about RZ's through this site once. You're a stone's throw away

so I had the story correct. you never know when you get to my age, your memory can start confusing things, hahaha. The story did have a happy ending, IIRC. After all the publicity, the car was spotted, and recovered. I think the thieves actually put some money into it, fixing a few things, so he came out OK in the end.

"The crime actually two months before the car was physically stolen, when the thieves forged Monaco’s name on a lost title form, and had that form notarized. That form was used to get a new title, which was then used to “sell” the car for a maddening $600."

I found this on the Firebird....if it can be done they'll figure out how...
https://jalopnik.com/terrifyingly-comprehensive-car-thieves-forge-docs-then-1719576200

Here's the thing.
So someone must have had a fake ID too for the notary.
Or the notary was involved.
There's the big issue to me.
Either way I'm guessing it was someone that knew the owner.
As we say, there is more to this story.

In my experience Washington state will title a car from out of state based on ownership ID and proof of previous registration. (Not "title")
That seems smart since not only does the state get revenue, but all cars have titles.
In my opinion, titles are mostly a psychological thing when dealing with car that don't have multiple owners. (Liens)
As this case might show, a title is paper.
There are other ways of showing ownership in court.

I've had titles with incorrect data on them (my title on my '75 valiant said it was a four cylinder. Not bad for a 318 car. ) and the state trooper stops by the house, takes a lookie, and a corrected title comes in the mail.

-
Back