What Expectations Can I Have With My Car?

-

JTG

Reaction score
Hi, I come across quit a few threads where members ask the question: what should my car run? then a list of components are provided, grant it a number of factors will determine the ultimate outcome of what your car will do on the track. Still I always think it's interesting to know what other Mopar's have under the hood and also the estimated time member's give that one should expect with their setup on the track. With that being said here is my list and I'm curious what expectations to have with my car.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Notchback
-340 with forged piston's and X-heads
-Crane Cam 520 lift sorry can't remember the duration?
-Edelbrock 340 Torker Two intake (port matched intake)
-750 Holley double pumper
-Holley mechanical fuel pump(12-360-11)
-Pertronic flame thrower coil
-Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm ignition wires
-NGK plugs
-Hooker headers (5901)
-X-pipe with 2 1/2" exhaust
-New out of the crate M.P (P4529689) non-lock-up 727 torqueflight
-Turbo Action 10" pro series street max 3200-3500 stall converter
-8 3/4 with sure-grip, 3.91 gears, pinion subber
-Mopar Performance super stock springs
-1.140" M.P torsion bars
-Frame has been joined
-14x8" rims on the back, with P245-60-R14 tires that are 25" and a bit in
height.

sounds like a 12's in the quarter to start with, Maybe mid to low with some very good tuning. Only problem I see will be traction at the track. You need some dot street drag radials or just some race slicks. Line lock would be good addition. Just a wild guess.

mopars chassis book gives you approxaments but you must factor in reaction times if you sleep at a light it will cost you ,wheel spin cost you ... how the car reacts these are factors only you can figure out .... you could have a car running 11.5 cut a bad light an run 12.00 an the list goes on and on .. an example top fuel if one smokes the tires watch how fast the other leaves him . i know that a bit extreme but the same prince able ...just some food for thought

Almost comparing apples to apples, my brothers 69 Dart is running 12:50's with a combo close to yours, but with slicks and racelights up front. I would expect low 13's with street tires. Geof

Definitely will need to purchase an extra set of rims with drag radials for the track.

What would be interesting to see is someone post they're set up who knows what they run at the track when all the stars line up and see what everyone says it should run and compare how far off they are lol

Would be very interesting.

mopars chassis book gives you approxaments but you must factor in reaction times if you sleep at a light it will cost you ,wheel spin cost you ... how the car reacts these are factors only you can figure out .... you could have a car running 11.5 cut a bad light an run 12.00 an the list goes on and on .. an example top fuel if one smokes the tires watch how fast the other leaves him . i know that a bit extreme but the same prince able ...just some food for thought

you need to get out to the track more often...as your reaction time has no bearing on your ET on the track...the ET clocks do not start until the car moves and breaks the beams...

so you could sit there for an hour after the xmas tree goes green...and you will have an hour reaction time...but the ET clocks will not start until the car moves and breaks the beams...

Hi, I come across quit a few threads where members ask the question: what should my car run? then a list of components are provided, grant it a number of factors will determine the ultimate outcome of what your car will do on the track. Still I always think it's interesting to know what other Mopar's have under the hood and also the estimated time member's give that one should expect with their setup on the track. With that being said here is my list and I'm curious what expectations to have with my car.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Notchback
-340 with forged piston's and X-heads
-Crane Cam 520 lift sorry can't remember the duration?
-Edelbrock 340 Torker Two intake (port matched intake)
-750 Holley double pumper
-Holley mechanical fuel pump(12-360-11)
-Pertronic flame thrower coil
-Taylor 409 Pro Race 10.4mm ignition wires
-NGK plugs
-Hooker headers (5901)
-X-pipe with 2 1/2" exhaust
-New out of the crate M.P (P4529689) non-lock-up 727 torqueflight
-Turbo Action 10" pro series street max 3200-3500 stall converter
-8 3/4 with sure-grip, 3.91 gears, pinion subber
-Mopar Performance super stock springs
-1.140" M.P torsion bars
-Frame has been joined
-14x8" rims on the back, with P245-60-R14 tires that are 25" and a bit in
height.

dont really know what your intent is with the car...but as far as the drag strip....torsion back too thick...will not transfer weight to rear...

and if those are street tires...the converter and rear gears will destroy them and your 60 ft times will suck..there your ET will suck....you will need to walk the car off the starting line..

70arrcuda what size rims and tires do you recommend for the track on the rear of this car? working with the stock wheel wells.

70arrcuda what size rims and tires do you recommend for the track on the rear of this car? working with the stock wheel wells.
I would say if you have good rear tires with some bite then you should be easily in the 12's. I run 26x9.5x15 Hoosier Quick Times on 15x7 aluminum rims. Thats about all the tire I can fit in the wheelwells on a 69 Dart. I believe your Cuda has a bigger wheelwell so maybe some 28" tires would be better. You could also try some BF Goodrich or other brand drag radials. As Cosgig said we are pretty close in builds with me having 3.73 gears, a vacuum holley,and only a 484 lift purple shaft cam,TTI headers,no X pipe and I run an MSD ignition,and Edelbrock aluminum heads. Mine has bested 12.59 so far through the full exhaust and im going to upgrade at least the cam and intake.

Thanks blu340dart, at some point soon I will buy the proper rims and tires, for now I'll just use whats on there for casual street driving. I like the look of your Dart.

-
Back